Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Windows Dead- not fuse or breaker

Hey guys,

Been trying to figure out why my windows stopped working, and its not the circuit breaker or fuse this time.

Both windows dont work, I cant seem to get 12v at the switches or even at the fuse. Jumping the k5 relay has no effect. Blower motor works as it should. Jumped the circuit breaker as well, no change.

Originally the passenger first window stopped working due to a bad motor, but that has been replaced, and tested prior to install. The car has e36 window switches, but i believe the switches work, and tried swapping a few around, no change.

The ground from the ETK, g200 under the dash, I believe I have found and appears to be solid as well.

The only other electronics in the car that dont work are the tach and eco gauge, not sure that's related.

Any ideas?

It's either power or ground.

You can use a multimeter (or test light) to see if you have a good ground at the switch.

But....since you say you don't have power at the fuse, you're going to have to back track that and find where the fault is - it might be inside the fuse box.

Assuming you have power coming from the unloader relay but not at the fuse, the issue is going to be between the two.

But I bet you've already figured that out. ;)
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I was going to ask what else stopped working. Is the OBC out as well? I've had this issue before but can't remember exactly what it was. The ACC wire on the starter solenoid had broken and that caused similar issues.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        It's either power or ground.

You can use a multimeter (or test light) to see if you have a good ground at the switch.

But....since you say you don't have power at the fuse, you're going to have to back track that and find where the fault is - it might be inside the fuse box.

Assuming you have power coming from the unloader relay but not at the fuse, the issue is going to be between the two.

But I bet you've already figured that out. ;)
        I figured as much, but opening up the fusebox nothing looked wrong, or, I dont know what im looking for with that big loom in there.

I assume since jumping and swapping the relay changes nothing, that that means the relay is getting power.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        I was going to ask what else stopped working. Is the OBC out as well? I've had this issue before but can't remember exactly what it was. The ACC wire on the starter solenoid had broken and that caused similar issues.
        The OBC was swapped for a clock, but that does appear to be getting power. Everything else works, save for the tac/eco gauge issue in the cluster. Not sure if thats related

Comment

Working...
        X