Moving to NC in a few months, have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to NC in a few months, have a few questions

I am finally able to have enough money to make a long distance move for my family and I, so we are moving up to NC (specifically Charlotte or Huntersville). My wife and I are dead set on it and we are going to make it happen no matter what. Last year, we couldn't financially pull it off. This year has been different and with rising costs of living, it's time to bolt. I know there are a few things I have to do before I find a place, but can anyone on here fill in a couple gaps? I know I will have to do the following:

-Establish utilities (water, electric, etc.).
    -Eventually go to the DMV to get my plates switched from FL to NC ones after they expire and change my license.
    -Be happy that I am out of the shithole state known as FL.

Appreciate any input you guys have and I can't wait to finally begin a new chapter in my life for my family and myself.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Two questions come to mind right off:

1. Are you planning to make a scouting run to the area before you have the moving trucks loaded and rolling?

2. Are you planning to rent, buy, or rent first with the intent of buying later?
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

kinda jelly. i want to move to north carolina. or south. or maybe south east Tennessee.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I moved to Ga 3yrs ago and my brother moved to the exact are you wish to just 6mnths ago. He is renting right now but plans to buy. Housing costs in Charlotte is not low by any means. I and he have loved our moves. 1st you need to get a place to establish utilities etc.

Comment

I live on the other side of Nc. Look at Greenville NC. It's a growing city. 1.5 hrs from the capital 1.5 hrs from the beach. Cost of living is low. But it is a college town due to the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            Two questions come to mind right off:

1. Are you planning to make a scouting run to the area before you have the moving trucks loaded and rolling?

2. Are you planning to rent, buy, or rent first with the intent of buying later?
            1. Yes, in April; I have a couple of weeks of vacation at my current job and I plan to use 1 for interviews and see where I would like to move.

2. Rent first, then I am going to buy.

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
            I moved to Ga 3yrs ago and my brother moved to the exact are you wish to just 6mnths ago. He is renting right now but plans to buy. Housing costs in Charlotte is not low by any means. I and he have loved our moves. 1st you need to get a place to establish utilities etc.
            Where I live, it's not low by any means either. I'm paying $1500/month for a 2/2 on the 3rd floor of an apartment that is barely 1,000 sq. ft. Houses here to rent are well over $2,000/month and that's a solid 30-40 minute drive to work. It never used to be this bad, I remember when I rented a 2,000 sq. ft. house built in 2007 that was a 3/2 with a 2 car garage for $925/month!

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
            I live on the other side of Nc. Look at Greenville NC. It's a growing city. 1.5 hrs from the capital 1.5 hrs from the beach. Cost of living is low. But it is a college town due to the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I will have to look into this for sure. My wife and I scouted the area twice in the past couple of years and she was set on Huntersville, but at this point we will be happy to live anywhere as long as I have employment so I can have a solid foundation to settle into my own home.

Comment

My brother rents a 2br, 1st floor, 1 car garage (its on the property, not attached) appartment. Its small IMO, IDK the Sq foot of the place. $1300 a month. That is purely due to where he lives. 15min away from him you can rent a house for that price.

Comment

Charlotte is a nice city. If I were you I would look into Fort Mill/Rock Hill SC. Right over the border from Charlotte and cost of living and taxes are less. Plus no emissions! I lived in Charlotte for a few years and was happy to get back to South Carolina. Less traffic as well. What field are you in?
                1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                  Charlotte is a nice city. If I were you I would look into Fort Mill/Rock Hill SC. Right over the border from Charlotte and cost of living and taxes are less. Plus no emissions! I lived in Charlotte for a few years and was happy to get back to South Carolina. Less traffic as well. What field are you in?
                  I thought about this! I work as a parts guy at a dealership, so my opportunities are limited. What are your thoughts? Like I've stated before, I am willing to go where I can have stable employment and a better quality of life. I've even thought about applying at the BMW factory in SC, but I don't know how well that would go down?

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                    I thought about this! I work as a parts guy at a dealership, so my opportunities are limited. What are your thoughts? Like I've stated before, I am willing to go where I can have stable employment and a better quality of life. I've even thought about applying at the BMW factory in SC, but I don't know how well that would go down?

There are many dealerships within Charlotte area if you were looking to continue in that field. Loads of indy bmw/euro shops that do a lot of business as well as multiple companies near the speedway that deal in automotive. Might as well apply to the Spartanburg BMW plant like you mentioned as well, large facility that was recently retooled and Greenville SC area is very popular. Let me know if you need any info or when you come to town I can show you around and buy you a beer!
                    Last edited by Zacm829; 01-24-2017, 03:01 PM.
                    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Totally glad to hear you're finally making the jump since your last thread about it.

It felt like a ton of weight was on my shoulders getting home at the beginning of December with no job lined up and slumming it at the in-laws. I had a lot of things fall in to place and now I've been at my new job for about a month, wife is working, and we're closing on a really nice house come the middle of next month. Its been a painfully expensive with the holidays getting thrown into the mix, but I was smart with our finances and still have a decent chunk of what I showed up here with.

Like I said man, NC has a lot of opportunities out there; don't exclude the rest of the state. I commute about 25mi to work, and it takes me about 40min with traffic. The trade off was a 2800sqft 4bed/3ba home on an acre of land running me $1200/mo after its all said an done. Taxes and utilities are WAAAAY less this far out and make up for it in the long run.
                      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                      -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Ive been in Raleigh since 85 and it has been great...not to mention an excellent e30 cru! Check the sig. There are plenty of dealerships around and if you get on the nce30 FB, ask around to see if there are any opportunities for you. I know of a few that work parts.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
                          Totally glad to hear you're finally making the jump since your last thread about it.

It felt like a ton of weight was on my shoulders getting home at the beginning of December with no job lined up and slumming it at the in-laws. I had a lot of things fall in to place and now I've been at my new job for about a month, wife is working, and we're closing on a really nice house come the middle of next month. Its been a painfully expensive with the holidays getting thrown into the mix, but I was smart with our finances and still have a decent chunk of what I showed up here with.

Like I said man, NC has a lot of opportunities out there; don't exclude the rest of the state. I commute about 25mi to work, and it takes me about 40min with traffic. The trade off was a 2800sqft 4bed/3ba home on an acre of land running me $1200/mo after its all said an done. Taxes and utilities are WAAAAY less this far out and make up for it in the long run.
                          The drive doesn't bother me. I used to drive 45 minutes south for a job. Gave me time to wake up and prepare for the day, really.

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                          Ive been in Raleigh since 85 and it has been great...not to mention an excellent e30 cru! Check the sig. There are plenty of dealerships around and if you get on the nce30 FB, ask around to see if there are any opportunities for you. I know of a few that work parts.
                          Yeah, our main goal is to just get out of here while we still can. Luckily my wife is on board with what we would do if things didn't work out, and that's just packing up and moving somewhere else if need be.

Comment

Already got my vacation in for the first week of April to lock down a place to rent and land some potential job interviews. Wish me luck when it comes!

Comment

I live in Davidson and love it; Rich pretentious pricks, soccer moms with attitudes, entitled kids, fufu dogs in purses, and Trump owns a development.

It's a really nice area though for nature enthusiasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X