Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M20 A/C issues - ready to pack my car with C4 and be done with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 A/C issues - ready to pack my car with C4 and be done with it.

So, I have a '87 E30. I'm in the process of trying to get some freaking A/C, because 90+ degree summer days in Florida are killing me. It's to the point I don't even wanna drive my E30 anymore. I wind up just driving my GF's Honda CRZ HYBRID. It's pretty much devastating to drive that instead of my amazing BMW.

SO, I've vac'd out the R12 from the system, preformed a leak test, replaced the compressor oil, and replaced with R134a. Haven't done the seals or hoses or anything, as I'm planning on a complete refresh on the car in the next few months and will take care of all of that then, when I have another car to drive and can tear my e30 apart for a few weeks.

After doing all of that, the A/C blows a LITTLE colder, but the air is probably only 3-5 degrees cooler than ambient air (90*+ day with 85*ish air) i don't really understand how this could happen, as the fact that it's cooling SOME kinda indicates that the components of the A/C are working properly.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else could keep the a/c from cooling properly ?

I will say that my blower motor is about to go. It squeals like a mofo when it's on (both heat and A/C of course) but still blows strong.

SECONDLY, I'm super pissed at this a/c right now, and I'm about ready to just preform a "fuck it" solution for it. My idea is this - ice chest in the trunk, bilge pump and ice water in the chest. Rubber hoses from the cooler to the heater core, and just loop or block the holes in the motor that hook up to the heater core. My idea is that by doing this, I can turn my a/c to full heat, and circulate ice water through the core, thus giving me some sort of hillbilly A/C. I understand the issue of condensation, but frankly, I don't care. Lol. Being cool is more important to me, and my idea is to just rig up a bullshit catch pan under the core and drain it with a fucking shop vac at the end of the day if I need to. Lol.

I guess my question with part 2 is, does anyone see a problem with this method ? Can anyone offer tips or anything ? Or do you think this method would even sufficiently cool the air for it to be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd probably get like 10 minutes out of a cooler of ice water. Not worth all the hassle IMO.

I would figure out what is wrong with the AC. Are you sure you have enough refrigerant in it?

Comment

Being that the system is designed for r12, and I'm filling it with r134, it was my understanding that it should be filled to like 85% of the capacity (since 134 operates at a different pressure) that said, I filled it just using cans of A/C Pro like they sell at autozone, etc. I didn't fill it using a manifold gauge set or anything. So, it may be that the gauge on the can is garbage. I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What are the pressures at idle, with the aux fan jumped to high speed and at what ambient temperature?
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It does not sound like its charged right is the aux fan working

I have done a parralell flow condenser new drier, expansion valve, compressor and weighed in the proper amount of 134a and it is still woefully inadequate I'm about to try some 152a aka air duster. if that doesn't work I give up
          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

I would take it to a shop that has a set of gauges not try to fill it with a can of 134a from wallmart.
            Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
            Bimmerbuddies LLC
            717-388-1256
            2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
            bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X