ARP Head Studs, Block Studs & Rod Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARP Head Studs, Block Studs & Rod Bolts

Hey guys, I'm planning on an m42 turbo build sometime in the future. I was wondering why doesn't ARP (official site) not have anything listed for the m42, but VAC does? The prices are more expensive for the m42 than the m50, even though it's less hardware. Also, would the m50 hardware fit the m42? Just wondering to save some $$$

My Daily Driven 318is

The m42 is pretty stout... unless you're going super high boost the stock main's and rod bearing bolts will be plenty strong enough.

Having said that, the main bolts are m10x75 so that would work but the rod bolts wouldn't... the m42 has a 47mm rod bolt vs the 44mm m5x/s5x bolt. You could probably get away with it as long as you get the rotating assembly properly balanced. The head bolts appear to be the same sizing as well.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I believe the M50 and M42 head studs are the same. I have the head studs sitting in my disused M42 and I'll sell them to you if you want. You don't really need the rod bolts if you aren't going to be building a high-revving engine, mine saw 7,500rpm quite a lot and it was fine, doesn't make more power revving that high anyway.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

I'm looking to put down 240whp-280whp, so I figure 12-14psi should be enough to do it. My motor is at 200k, so I need to refresh it for sure I figured might as well do it once and have peace of mind.

I haven't written anything down yet, but I was planning on doing the following:
        ARP hardware
        main & rod bearings
        360 thrust bearings
        possibly pistons to lower c/r
        rings
        balance rotating assembly
        springs/valves
        late model timing case
        new timing chains & guides
        gaskets & seals

Pretty sure I'm missing some things, I'm doing some DSP for school right now so I'm slightly distracted lol

Btw Varg did you graduate? Never got a chance to meet you and I haven't seen the e30 around campus

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Nope, haven't graduated yet. I always park in the garage near the stadium, once in a while near the newer engineering building.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Nope, haven't graduated yet. I always park in the garage near the stadium, once in a while near the newer engineering building.
            I tend to hit the second floor of EE and study in one of the labs. We should defintely try meeting up, I'm heading to Georgia for an internship this summer so maybe when the semester ends we can set something up. I need to interrogate you about MS & turbo stuff lol

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
            X