CA Smog Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Smog Failed

Hi R3v, looking for some help in trying to figure what my cars issue is. 1989 325IS

I failed smog today. Got the car really hot and took it in, it didn't sit for more than 2 mins before I got in. Failed HC.

I was looking at other members posts and wondering where to start? Spark plugs, ICV anything else i need to try to pass? Hoping my cat is still good...

Any advice is appreciated.

Here are my numbers
    Last edited by E30Evan; 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM.

Okay quick update. My O2 sensor was hand tight. Could that cause HC? Pulling spark plugs now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to replace for good measurements. But they don't look that bad do they?

Comment

High HC is just excess unburnt fuel. Basically it's "too rich" but that is such a small disparity, so it most likely doesn't have a fueling problem IMO. Swapping out plugs is never a bad idea. A nice clean spark could be that difference of 30 ppm. Anything related to fuel or ignition could be at fault but it's best to start with the easiest and most cost effective and likely culprit.
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

How many miles on the O2 sensor? It is a scheduled maintenance item with a life of 100k. An aged O2 sensor will cause the engine to run rich.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            How many miles on the O2 sensor? It is a scheduled maintenance item with a life of 100k. An aged O2 sensor will cause the engine to run rich.
            Not entirely sure, The car has 200k Miles now. I guess that will be my next purchase. It hasn't been done since i've owned it. However i only put on about 50k miles on it.

One thing i did find when I tried my retest was the o2 sensor was hand tight! Anyhow tightened it down and replaced the sparks, and put 100 oct gas in the tank and ran it on the freeway for a good 45 mins before getting to the smog place. Left it running until it was my turn(waited about 5 mins)

My PPM went down by 2 points... anyhow going to replace the o2 and pay the $60 bucks again :(

Comment

The car's NOX is high also. Since the engine isn't running lean (which would raise NOX) and may have been running rich for quite some time, the catalytic converters may be bad from the rich condition causing them to overheat.
              Last edited by jlevie; 06-09-2017, 11:01 AM.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                The car's NOX is high also. Since the engine isn't running lean (which worud raise NOX) and may have been running rich for quite some time, the catalytic converters may be bad from the rich condition causing them to overheat.
                NO only seemed high @ 15mph. @25mph is under avg? Does that make any sense? Why would it be higher at 15?

Comment

If it's higher at 15mph than 25mph, it could be due to a vacuum leak.

Comment

Just to follow up on this. I ran 100 oct fuel and ran it again. Pass no problem. I replaced the O2, Sparks, and did an oil change.

Comment

Working...
                    X