A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
    Wow, excellent progress. Simon I bet you are dying to get this thing home. Hope you are paying BlackbirdM3 some serious Freedom Bux for all his hard work ;)

Will's Freedom would be on trumps level if it's measured in the bux he's getting from me. The convertible top will dry my tears and wash away the shame haha
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Today I did a little tuning, I adjusted the floats in the carbs, and changed the jetting a little bit. I also added a throttle return spring. After making the small changes, It was time to go climb Atlas Peak again, but this time I went further back. It inhaled some crap from the fuel tank, and quit pumping fuel, but the fix was easy, I undid the hose clamp and blew it clear. Car started right up, and down the hill I went. At the bottom of the hill, the piece of whatever blocked the pickup again, and I came to a sputtering stop. Popped the fuel line off the filter, blew it clear, and drove home. I made some adjustments, looked at the time and decided to get bold. I went up valley to Yountville. It cruised along a 58 mph (60 indicated) at 3K rpm just fine. I made the trip with no issues, so I think its time to brave taking it to work. I must say, driveability isn't ideal, but its making progress. The car also runs really cold. It never got above the second hash mark. (My car usually doesn't even run that cold)

I'm not sure the alternator is actually charging. When I pull the lights on, it shows a big jump on the ammeter but I'm not sure if its actually charging or not. (I should have pulled the wires off to see if it still ran, oh well.) The giant cloud of smoke seems to be diminishing some.

I think the hard stuff is done. Now its just a matter of finding and sorting all the little stuff out. Hopefully it doesn't give me any trouble when I attempt to drive it to work tomorrow.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I bugged Will to send me another pic... ironing out final details now

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Looking really nice. When do you think you'll get it home?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Aiming for first weekend in August
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

You must be excited!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                You must be excited!

A little anxious too. Parking is already a bit overloaded and another car will make it bad but I'm actively trying to thin the herd by 1
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Late birthday present from my wife, even though I arranged the purchase. NOS Fairlady emblem for my Datsun

My Fairlady by 2mAn

It will be the nicest thing on the whole damn car, but eventually the entire car should be pretty sweet to match the sexiness of this thing
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

^Nice!!

A Fairlady from a..... Fairlady?
                    1990 325i
                    2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                      ^Nice!!

A Fairlady from a..... Fairlady?
                      Exactly! I figured the nicest part on the car being purchased my own fairlady would be pretty cool.

I was tempted to have her buy the anti-sway bar, but I figured this would be more special haha
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I managed to put over 80 miles on the car today. There were a few hiccups, but they were sorted and the final drive was pretty uneventful. Its not fast, but it does go, and seems to be getting closer to being ready for the drive to LA.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Well... looks like I need to get my stuff ready otherwise the BMW is getting kicked out of its spot too when this gets down here
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Did the idle issue get sorted out?
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Yea Will threw on the distributor from his car, so overall the car is running good. Theres still a weird charging issue, but overall its being driven without any major issues
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                                Did the idle issue get sorted out?
                                Yes. It was an odd one. Both carbs were leaking from the gaskets that go between the carbs and the insulators. Why? That is a very good question. They were new gaskets that were used. I started at a torque setting of goodntight, then went tighter, and they wouldn't seal. I pulled everything off and put a thin layer of silicone grease on both sides of the gaskets and reinstalled the carbs. That sealed the leaks up and I had a stable 600 rpm idle at 15 degrees BTDC. (A little low, 20 is the stock setting at 750 rpm.) I set the static advance made a couple small adjustments with the idle circuit and suddenly it was a driveable car. I can't say that the main jetting is spot on, but I don't think its that far off.

Its only taken a month, but I think I'm finally where I wanted to be when Simon headed home. The new issue that I need to figure out is the head lights. They worked on Monday, but don't work now. Its not a fuse issue either. I really hope its not the relay, they are rare and expensive.

Will
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X