Vert battery relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vert battery relocation

so I know that removing the ballast in the back isn't really a good idea, but how about relocating the battery to the rear to take up the weights slack. I just like the cleaner look you can achieve in the engine bay with the relocation

i say dont waste your time verts are too torsionally floppy for it to matter much get a strut bar

Comment

I pulled the ballast in the trunk and it made the car a bit more "lively" in the rear. That being said do so at your own discretion. If you're looking to relocate the battery to the trunk, I advise checking out Cabriolet's threads as he did it to his car way back when. It certainly can clean up the engine bay with no battery up front, but if you're looking to improve the handling on the vert, do a strut bar, x-brace, and/or a hardtop. I personally felt the race skids x brace made the steering a fair amount sharper out of all three, but it was a BITCH to install (ran into fitment issues).

Comment

I don't see how this fellow doesn't think it worth it but it very much is I spent an hour at the junk yard and $25 for mine use all the parts from a coupe cable, cover, tie down, junction, ect I deleted the weight and replaced with the battery I had upfront looks very clean and I added an m3 covering too, I noticed absoluetly no change in handling characteristics. a strut bar is an awesome mod for the vert but for $25 you can't go wrong
        -His-
        87 e30 325i
        87 e24 m6
        05 e83 x3
        94 e32 740i 5spd
        -Hers-
        89 e30 325i
        18 f48 x1

Comment

excellent, I didn't want the handling change that comes from just removing the weight, and I really want to clean up the engine bay, so two birds one stone.

I'll be installing a x-brace and skid plate as well, but the battery relocation is 100% aesthetic for me. Just didn't want to make the handling worse to clean up the bay.

Comment

Chatted with Cab about this very mod and the cable from the coupe that runs the lenght of the car ended up being just a bit too short. He had to splice more heavy gauge cable to the end of it to make it the entire run. He mentioned that if he had to do it all over again he would get the cable from a 5 series as it a bit longer and should fit without too much modification. Just FYI.

Comment

I'll probably just run all new stuff, I have easy access to high quality cable. How long of a cable do you need?

Comment

its pretty long, I would guess 17' or so...I would get one out of an E39 myself

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I dont see mention of the fact that the Cabrio well is too narrow for the battery so the right way to do this is to splice in a new floor section with the larger well.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by amish_rabbi View Post
                    so I know that removing the ballast in the back isn't really a good idea
                    threw that thing out and never looked back... no ill effects, but i do have a lot of tire.
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      I dont see mention of the fact that the Cabrio well is too narrow for the battery so the right way to do this is to splice in a new floor section with the larger well.
                      I have done two myself and have seen several, perhaps there are 2 vert chassis? There are early E30s that are not notched, maybe verts had the same thing.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        I have done two myself and have seen several, perhaps there are 2 vert chassis? There are early E30s that are not notched, maybe verts had the same thing.
                        I sure don't know every body layout but my 84 318i and my 87 Cabrio have front batteries with no room in the rear well. Our 87 sedan has a rear a battery and the 89 Cabrio I sold had no room
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

This is pretty interesting to hear, as I've been wanting to do this as well (for purely aesthetic reasons). I have a cable already (from a junkyard) but if there is any question of it being too short then I'd probably just run new cable.

Also curious about the well in the trunk not being large enough to fit a battery? I'll admit I haven't taken a close look at mine and just assumed there would be room. If I had to splice in a different floor section I think I'd abandon this idea pretty quickly. :down:
                          1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                          2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

...and now I am wondering....in all those cases, the battery was supplied by the customer.

Closing SOON!

Comment

As in a non-standard size?
                              1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                              2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Working...
                              X