Lower alternator bolt/nut is defeating me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower alternator bolt/nut is defeating me

I am in the process of examining my charging system and noticed the alternator was a bit wobbly on its bracket. Visual inspection showed that the lower mounting bolt was not tightened down. I went to tighten it and the nut on the back of the mounting bracket just spins.

There is NO clearance for a socket back there, and there is not enough of the nut showing to grab it with an open ended wrench. Not sure how I'm supposed to latch onto this nut to keep it from spinning. I thought I'd try wedging a spanner in there to keep the nut from spinning but that did not really work well.

Any ideas for getting to this nut? Its strange that it would be engineered this way. If its that tight in there it should be a captive bolt or welded to the mounting bracket. Here's a photo showing what I'm talking about. You can see how far the bolt needs to get tightened (1/4" or so).

Any ideas? I suspect I'd have the same problem if I actually wanted to REMOVE the alternator.
    1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
    2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

If I remember correctly, I was able to get a socket on that nut. Maybe I have super thin wall sockets...not sure lol it IS possible though :)
    1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Would have to be pretty thin indeed!
      1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
      2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

on second thought maybe not...it looks like the formed metal around that nut is supposed to hold it in place while you loosen/tighten the bolt head. but...in your case it appears the nut is pretty stripped which is why it is just spinning. I'll go take a look at mine in a few.
        1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Should be able to soak it with penetrating spray and wedge a screw driver between the flat of the nut and bracket. I would remove it inspect it all, wire brush the bolt and then reassemble with a new nut.
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Yes...I think that is what needs to happen. RealOEM also shows a wave washer between the nut and the bracket.

Here's another photo I found on the Interwebz. There is NO WAY I'm getting a socket on that nut. There is practically no room for a socket...even a crazy thin one.

1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
            2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

^nice, yeah i had a hard time finding a photo on the webz. I must have mistaken that nut for a different one but yes looks like you will need a new nut...or...if your in a bind and need to get it on to go somewhere. wedge something beside the nut to put pressure on it while you tighten the bolt but I never said to do that ;)
              1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Originally posted by viceversa View Post
                ^nice, yeah i had a hard time finding a photo on the webz.
                eBay.

:)

To get it OFF I'll need to wedge something at the top of the nut, but with the alternator in the way there is no room for a spanner to jamb into the gap. I tried a smaller screwdriver but the nut just bent up the tip and kept spinning.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to take the bracket off the block in order to get that effing nut off. Hopefully that can be done with the alt still attached. Looks like there are only two bolts holding it on. p/s pump is coming off soon anyway when I do my rack upgrade.
                1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Yeah, the design for that nut is just ridiculous, I was doing my timing belt and I had to remove the alternator completely just to get the alternator belt off and I ran into that nut. I hope you figure out a way to get it off, my best bet would have been sticking a flat-head in there but it sounds like you already tried that.

Comment

Maybe try hammering the bolt lightly and try to push the nut out and grab it then? Just my

Comment

Agreed this is a lame design. May as well have just made the nut a part of the bracket! Originally I was just wanting to tighten it, and wedging a screwdriver in the bottom gap worked for about a 1/2 turn of my ratchet. Then I decided I wanted to take it OFF, and there is just no room to get a screwdriver in the top gap.

I was hoping I'd be able to grab the nut with some RoboGrip pliers but wasn't able to clamp on with enough force to keep it from spinning. I might just have to drive over to my mechanic and have him do this. Of course he'll say "oh well I'll have to charge you for an alternator install, and the book says that's a four hour job...".

:evil:
                      1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                      2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by JonTheHero22 View Post
                        Maybe try hammering the bolt lightly and try to push the nut out and grab it then? Just my
                        Hmmmm....
                        1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                        2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

Well, I got that bitch off! I did tap the bolt in as Jon suggested. AND hit it with a little penetrant like whodwho suggested. I think just being persistent was the trick...but thanks to everyone who contributed ideas.

I'm replacing ALL the hardware, since the bolt threads are flattened out on one side, and the nut was also a bit distorted.

Pulled the VR out and the shortest brush was just a little bit longer than the minimum spec in the Bentley manual (5mm) so I'm replacing the VR too. Sure as hell easy enough to try and WAY cheaper than a "new" 90Amp alternator. Hopefully when I get everything back together my charging problem will be gone.

I was getting just a little over 13v at the battery @ 2000RPM (with no accessories on) and we know THAT'S not right.

;)
                          1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
                          2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T

Comment

You are going about this in the wrong way. Dismount the alternator support bracket and fix what every is wrong.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

w00t w00t mission accomplished, good job team!
                              1993 BMW 325iC -S52

Comment

Working...
                              X