Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New starter, no power to hvac, windows or mirrors

Hi all,

So I know this question has been asked before, but I am at a loss of what to check next. I have read that these symptoms can be attributed to the 'Unloader Relay'. I have a brand new started just installed from but experiencing no power to the items listed above, hvac, power windows and mirrors. Door locks work, radio works, dash cluster works, and essentially everything else. Yesterday I went over the connections on the starter and confirmed that they are all correct. There are 4 studs. The car is a 91 and starts just fine, so i know its connected correctly.

I have been checking my grounds and all of them seem to be hooked up. I am trying to figure out if anything else could cause this issue. The car is an auto to manual swap but as far as I am aware, it shifts find and parks fine and the wiring is correct. Even reverse light is working.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    '99 e46 323i - wrecked
    '87 e30 325iS - sold
    '91 e30 325i - sold
    '89 e30 M3 - fun car
    '09 e91 328i - sold
    '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
    '08 impreza - new rally car
    '01 996 tt - more fun car
    '82 Ford f350 - work truck

If all of the connections to the starter are correct, the unloader switch in the starter is bad. You can prove that by placing a jumper from the unloader wire to ground.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      If all of the connections to the starter are correct, the unloader switch in the starter is bad. You can prove that by placing a jumper from the unloader wire to ground.
      Where is the underloader wire again? Is that the small wire going to the lower post?

And just connect that wire to ground? Could I just run with that wire grounded if it works?
      '99 e46 323i - wrecked
      '87 e30 325iS - sold
      '91 e30 325i - sold
      '89 e30 M3 - fun car
      '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

Had the exact same issue. Did you buy a reman Bosch unit? I ended up taking the top connection (unloader relays) and connect it to the bottom post. The headlights and other items are now on during cranking, but at least everything works.

M42 turbo build.
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
          Had the exact same issue. Did you buy a reman Bosch unit? I ended up taking the top connection (unloader relays) and connect it to the bottom post. The headlights and other items are now on during cranking, but at least everything works.
          Oh snap, that sounds like a perfect solution! thank you, i will try this tomorrow. I believe i purchased a brand new started. It looked very new from the outside, maybe the inards are rebuilt but don't know.

I suppose the other electronics, like the lights, being on at crank really has no adverse affects other than battery degredation over time? But i guess that really wouldn't be an issue unless unless your alternator was bad. Have you noticed anything that happened after you did that? Does it start normally? Or take a couple more cranks to start?
          '99 e46 323i - wrecked
          '87 e30 325iS - sold
          '91 e30 325i - sold
          '89 e30 M3 - fun car
          '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

No adverse affects. No changes in cranking.

M42 turbo build.

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
              No adverse affects. No changes in cranking.
              What if the top and bottom bolts are different sizes? It seems this underloader relay is a different size than the bottom post. Just splice a wire so they conmect? I assume this is how you have it
              '99 e46 323i - wrecked
              '87 e30 325iS - sold
              '91 e30 325i - sold
              '89 e30 M3 - fun car
              '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

I just shoved it on the bottom post and bolted it down, everythig works now! Thanks again!
                '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                '87 e30 325iS - sold
                '91 e30 325i - sold
                '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

I cut off the ring terminal and put a female spade connector. You can then just slide it onto the button spade connectors.

Glad it worked for you :)

M42 turbo build.

Comment

Working...
                  X