dome lights wont turn off? 85 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dome lights wont turn off? 85 318i

Hey guys I picked up this e30 for pretty cheap and I'm trying to sort out all the electrical issues the car has. I found that the fuse was blown that give power to the interior dome lights. I replaced this and found that the interior lights wouldn't turn off. I check it in both positions that would allow the bulb to come on, alway on and trigger on off.
    I started to tear apart the switches and got them to turn off thinking that it must have solved the problem and then walked away from the car.
    I came back after awhile and opened the door to make sure they where still turning on and when I went to shut it they stayed on. Annoyed at this point I went to each door and removed the switches completely out of the car and they still didn't turn off.
    now I taught the wires must be grounding on so I jiggled around each wire with no change .
    could this be the delay relay?
    grounding out some where?
    if i unplug the delay relay will the lights still function? just with out a delay?
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

sounds like you have a wire grounding somewhere, or possibly the light timer is a problem and like you say a quick test would be to remove it . as far a them working with timer out i have never tested this but looking at the ETM diagram it looks like they will still work with the passenger door jamb switch and if a 4dr the rear door switches but without the timer i dont think the drivers door will operate the lights any more.

page 6330-0 in your ETM found here http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

I have an 85 318i, I didn't know there was a dome light timer! Mine shut off right away, but they also don't turn on by the switch, only when the door is open.

Comment

It ended up being that relay. It was stuck on.

It's located under the front drivers speaker, I just ended up deleting it and by passing the feature

Thanks
        WTB:m60b40 in PNW
        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
        92 525it 5 speed.
        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
        X