Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 524td Rehab Project

1986 524td E28

I want to share pictures and progress on my most recent BMW project, this little turbo diesel. I picked this car up in February, and I am really enjoying working on it and learning about the unusual engine. Long term plans are to completely restore the suspension, convert from auto to 5 speed, and possibly even do something about the worn out paint :shock:

For now, I just want to get some maintenance taken care of and have fun cruising it around. Here is what I started with, the paint is really flat and has several areas with severe scratches, and some various patches with what looks like rattle can. The whole trunk lid has been painted with a rattle can or something similar, but at least it is all one color :D
    Bothe bumpers are screwed up, and the front valance is a bit smashed in. The Pacific Blue vinyl interior has definitely seen better days.

[/url]

One of the first additions is a nice stereo setup from German Audio Specialties. The day after the stereo install my brother and I took it to the Oregon coast for the Crosshaul Drive

I picked up an early 528e parts car, and began harvesting.

This little car is donating both bumpers, bumper trim, front valance, and the Nutria/Llama interior. It will also be the source of the parts for the 5 speed conversion. I repainted the valance with some AWII paint I had on the shelf, so it doesn't match the rest of the AWI on the car, but I am happy with it for now. I repainted the bumpers, trim, and grilles/kidney inserts with Duplicolor trim paint.

I tore into the engine and gave it some love. Cleaned and replaced a lot of little items. Did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat ,cooling hoses, reservoir, new glow plugs, new power steering reservoir and lines/clamps. Changed fluids and filters. This was felt more like doing a service on heavy equipment than a BMW haha.

Custom IP lock pin and cam lock tool

All the parts came from Bluntech, and in typical fashion there was a penis on the invoice

Differences between a standard M20 water pump (top) and the M21 pump

Crawled under the car and did some power washing, and scrubbed down the engine bay

I bought a set of rough style 66 wheels, 17x8 and 17x9. I always liked this design, and decided to have some fun with them. I gave them a budget refinish by dremeling out the worst of the curb rash, and painted them Detroit Diesel Alpine Green. Current tire sizes are 225/45/17 front and 235/45/17 rear.

I am currently in the middle of the interior swap. I need to do the doors, and figure out what to do with the parcel shelf. I am really in love with the car now, the blue ratty vinyl was just not doing it for me. I also added an E30 sport package steering wheel I had laying around. Much better than the crusty school bus steering wheel.

The front springs got a bit of modification to get rid of the wheel gap. Eventually I will put together a real suspension for this old girl. I removed the nasty pin stripes and scrubbed her as much as I could. Next project is fiddling with the injection pump to see if I can get a little more oomph.

Last edited by LuckyHenriksen; 07-25-2015, 06:19 PM.

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Some very detailed photos. Love that you are already doing the 5 speed swap. Keep on the good work!

Comment

Glad I found this thread!!!! I have dreamed of getting a 524TD

I'm loving all the awesome work in here! I'm just not on board with the wheel color...but not my car. Carry on, good sir.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Awesome progress! When's the boost getting turned up? ;)

Comment

Damm you are getting after it!

Tons of work on the old girl. I too am not feeling those wheels but to each his own.

I'd be hunting for some Style 5s but it looks like you already have a set on the other E28.

Sub'd to see where you end up

Comment

Sub'd. Can't wait to see this with a 5 speed !
            1990 Alpine 325is
            1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Subscribed.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                Some very detailed photos. Love that you are already doing the 5 speed swap. Keep on the good work!
                Originally posted by F34R View Post
                Glad I found this thread!!!! I have dreamed of getting a 524TD

I'm loving all the awesome work in here! I'm just not on board with the wheel color...but not my car. Carry on, good sir.
                Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                Awesome progress! When's the boost getting turned up? ;)
                Originally posted by GDA View Post
                Damm you are getting after it!

Tons of work on the old girl. I too am not feeling those wheels but to each his own.

I'd be hunting for some Style 5s but it looks like you already have a set on the other E28.

Sub'd to see where you end up
                Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                Sub'd. Can't wait to see this with a 5 speed !
                Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                Subscribed.
                Thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind a set of style 5's, but I might look for a less common E28 wheel. Although they do look great on these cars. The black iS clone on 5's isn't mine, just a friends car that I was working on. 5 speed parts are slowly building up. I just need to bite the bullet and place the expensive order for all the new parts I want to replace during the swap.

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                Bluebird Bus Conversion
                New Oregon Trail

Comment

I completed the interior color change, had to re-glue a couple of the cards as they were starting to separate. Used some Roadkill mat on the doors for a little more solid feel. Also replaced the missing door latch buffers, and installed a new accelerator pedal. I bought some fabric and wrapped the parcel shelf, and I really like how it turned out although I haven't taken any completed pictures yet.

Installed a Denny T stage II fuel pin. The aftermarket pin is on the right, with the deep cutout. I noticed a little increase in mid range power, but I will probably have to do some more adjusting with the IP to get the most out of the pin mod. I did adjust the smoke screw all the way out, which helps, but it will still roll coal under WOT. Got the car put back together and went to 5er West, which is always a great time. I even went on the 5er drive this year, over Mt. Hood. It was the slowest car there but still a lot of fun!

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                  Bluebird Bus Conversion
                  New Oregon Trail

Comment

Awesome work!

Comment

Very nice! How do you like the LukeBox?
                      '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                      '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Great work! Subbed
                        Owned lots of E30's
                        Currently sporting:
                        85 324td
                        86 535i
                        89 635csi
                        Feedback thread

Comment

Looking good, wasn't a real fan of the wheel color at first but it grew on me! How do these compare to the 528e? Slower, faster? I suppose I could Google the answer but for all I know maybe you've driven both.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Awesome car. What kind of mpg are you getting?
                            Instagram
                            sigpic
                            Current: 99 M3
                            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by KrautnotRice View Post
                              Very nice! How do you like the LukeBox?
                              I love the Luke Box, would definitely recommend one to anyone looking to put together a nice stereo

Originally posted by Jargo View Post
                              Great work! Subbed
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                              Looking good, wasn't a real fan of the wheel color at first but it grew on me! How do these compare to the 528e? Slower, faster? I suppose I could Google the answer but for all I know maybe you've driven both.
                              Thanks a lot! I am actually thinking about changing the color again, I have a couple color ideas floating around in my head. I haven't driven an E28 eta, and it's been a long time since I have driven a 325e, so it's difficult to compare. i don't think the 524 is any faster. I am hoping to notice an increase in power once the auto trans is swapped for a proper working 5 speed.

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                              Awesome car. What kind of mpg are you getting?
                              It has been getting 28-32 pretty consistently.

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                              Bluebird Bus Conversion
                              New Oregon Trail

Comment

Working...
                              X