Clean shaved/tucked M20 turbo - TUNED 378hp/282kw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    Very nice. What's keeping it from being road legal?

I know this coilover is shock-height adjusted, so why not just move those two lock collars up instead of using the helper spring?
    I needed more wheel droop to pass certification. Helper spring gives me more droop but keeps spring captive.. Hopefully getting a re-check this week

Originally posted by econti View Post
    skid vids when?
    Aha oh its hard. 5psi and 5k limi is getting old real quick. 600km left before I can rip shit and bust

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Awesome stuff man. Good to see a finished out M20 build. I'm doing a full teardown on mine as well, but I'll be going forged pistons the first time.

Can't wait to see this thing full tilt!

Comment

Road legal! Never thought it would happen...

Originally posted by eThirtyAaron View Post
        Awesome stuff man. Good to see a finished out M20 build. I'm doing a full teardown on mine as well, but I'll be going forged pistons the first time.

Can't wait to see this thing full tilt!
        Cheers bro, go hard

M U S C C O O

Comment

Nice work

Nice work, since I have tan interior I thought of painting my engine in the same sort of fashion. Good to hear a turbo build is finished.

:popcorn:

What are the next plans?

Comment

Originally posted by wat3rbug View Post
            What are the next plans?
            Well I've done my 1000k run in on the motor/clutch so next is to hit the dyno and get some real boost in it.

I need to paint my center caps too as not having them is grinding my gears.

Got the old iPhone cam out today..somehow my wheels always manage to end up in about the same position haha

Last edited by potatomash; 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

Dyno is done, car is beast. No 1st or 2nd, and lucky if I get half of 3rd..

M U S C C O O

Comment

Nice! You and I made very similar power on the same psi using the same dyno.
                What octane?

Looks like you're creeping a bit though.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Clean shaved/tucked M20 turbo (NZ Build)

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  Nice! You and I made very similar power on the same psi using the same dyno.
                  What octane?

Looks like you're creeping a bit though.

Oh yeah what's your setup??

This on 98 pump gas.

Yeah creep was a b**ch. My tuner dyno'd it on 10psi wastegate pressure only and it was creeping to 14psi. He got it as best he could with the map and then we added the boost controller which must be set around 14/15 so it climbs to 16.

I was out last night and hit boost cut at 17.5psi [emoji37] so I really need to do something. I think it's the manifold wastegate port is a bad design so might have to modify it..

M U S C C O O

Comment

I looked back at the old picture of your manifold, definitely looks like a bad design for flow.
                    The more flow to the wastegate that is required the more issues you will see if the wastegate is in a bad spot.

Comment

So 390 ftlbs torque and 378hp for us Americans [emoji14] that's great power. Nice job!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Fucken oath that's good. Better wastegate placement and you'll be good for even more power. On E85? -edit- just read 98. Get yourself some ethanol ASAP lol
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Nice!

I have used several of those RSI manifolds without creep. Seeing your turbo has such a large compressor on a small frame t3, you will need a bigger gate. That same manifold on a forged m20b25 and Precision 6267 t4 has no creep on a local car making 500+whp@19psi when the clutch started slipping - now we just need a clutch that will hold to see what it really can do. Prior to that the same car had a Super 60 Turbonetics and was a daily driver - again, no issues with creep, driven about a year.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Haha I don't want E85, its stupid enough as it is

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Nice!

I have used several of those RSI manifolds without creep...
                            Hmm thats interesting to hear, I guess a bigger gate is a solution, but that's kind of just masking the underlying issue of wastegate flow. If the gate was angled better the 44mm should be able to control it no problem.

My options at the moment are these I guess, all of which are a not a 5min job :/
                            - Bigger gate
                            - Second gate
                            - Reposition gate
                            - Different manifold

I've been suggested to chuck a 7psi spring to hopefully cap the max creep it can get, so I will give that a go in the interm

M U S C C O O

Comment

I am inclined to say you're are choking the turbo a bit. Add a larger turbine housing and you should be relived of the creep. You have to remember the turbine is letting gasses pass just as much as the WG is, and your exhaust manifold pressures are probably through the roof.

Simple test. Put a pressure/boost gauge in your manifold somewhere before the turbo. Compare that to your intake manifold pressure. If you are approaching a 2:1 ratio, then your turbine and/or gate is too small - it will always creep since the exhaust gasses being created by large compressor/turbine ratio have no where to go. People think in terms of flow on boosted exhaust, but in reality, it pressure ratios that are the important part. 1:1 would be a perfect world, but closer to 1.5:1 is more typical on a well designed system.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by potatomash View Post
                                Haha I don't want E85, its stupid enough as it is
                                So you are saying that getting more power and lot more reliable engine is stupid? With that ~14 psi boost pressure, you could make ~450 hp using e85. In Finland almost every turbo bmw runs e85 because it's superior fuel compared to regular pump gas. Especially in turbo engines.

Comment

Working...
                                X