Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idk if it would, to get the mortgage I had to have insurance right off the bat. A safe bet is work in a "home warrenty" in to the closing agreements. My buddy did that and had a issue like mine, not as bad, and they covered it 100%.

The crazy thing is the market here is I still paid a good amount for the house, just as much as my boss paid for his super nice house in Arizona, my neighbor just sold his house for almost half a million. And based of zillows super inflated estimate I have like $80,000 in equity, and that has no bearing on the work we have put in, but again those are super inflated.
    We would like to sell in 5 years, that way you don't owe taxes off any profit of the house

I think the stigma is because they are closely related to trailers since they can be moved, but I looked at a couple in a rual area that was on big chunk of land. The commute was a deal killer for me
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I put my offer for the house at 20,000 over, then after the inspection I told my realtor I wanted to pull out unless they went back to asking and replaced the roof. They also cover closing, so I didn't see fit going after the old owners, but in some cases you can go back on the sellers if they hid somthing during the sell that they knew, atleast that's what I was told after all this mess
      WTB:m60b40 in PNW
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        That's a damn nightmare! Looks like what I expect my boat to be when I pull the floor up.

But a house?!
        I just had to open my damn mouth.

Posted about this in the nonsense thread, decided to go ahead and bring it here.

Water line, I should have been paying more attention to the breaking grout. Tile floor hid the issue until the water line completely let go. Still haven't found the source so I'm going to completely pull up the tile before cutting anymore out. I'm getting nervous about how far the damage has spread. At this point it looks like i'll be gutting the entire bathroom.

Also, mold. nice.

Ugh by Exodus_2pt0, on Flickr
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Well, looks like it spread to the bedroom a bit.

Good news is that the walls were installed over the linoleum, and the linoleum was left extending past this damage into the bedroom. So neither the carpet of the walls have been damaged. Whew!

Got an adapter and made a temporary block off. Yay for running water in the rest of the house.

Now to take a break from the madness.

IMG_20170730_135912180 by Exodus_2pt0, on Flickr

IMG_20170730_182350699 by Exodus_2pt0, on Flickr
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

did you find the actual leak yet?

That sucks, glad you planned ahead though and had the cash.i have to wonder though, would home owners insurance have covered something like that? I have to wonder since it would be obvious it occurred before you owned the place.

I got lucky with my house, purchased it from a co-worker when he retired and moved back to New York. He ended up getting screwed and had to spend a bit of money to get it to where FHA would finance it. (Things like coating the blocks in the crawl space, removing a very poorly built overhang on the side porch. Things that should have been done but the bank overlooked when he purchased because it was a foreclosure.)

It's interesting, there's a huge stigma against manufactured homes, even my Mom was advising against it. Banks don't want to finance, tons of extra requirements by the FHA. But when I spoke to my Father-in-law who works on homes for a living, he said that the modern ones are usually a very safe bet. OTOH, my brother just purchased a new (pre-owned) home. He looked at a ridiculous number of "stick built" homes before finding one that didn't have some kind of major issue with it.

Fingers crossed, I'd probably cry if I pulled up a floor to find that. After I wiped my tears I'd get my ass to work, but still!
            i think manufactured homes are built more consistently than a stick built home because of quality control in the factory setting. however, there are things about them that aren't so great. for instance your floor is particle board. when it gets wet, it disintegrates. that would piss me off. also, your water pipes are made of grey plastic. what the hell is that? have you or anyone else seen that stuff at the home center? me neither. there has to be a good reason for that. i assume its because that is the most inexpensive water line that will actually meet code. i am going to guess that every 110 volt wire in the house is #14 on a 15 amp circuit instead of #12 on 20 amp circuits. the cost difference? about 200 bucks. i don't want to scare you but there are probably 100 other things that were done to cut costs that won't benefit you in the long run as a home owner.
            Last edited by flyboyx; 07-30-2017, 04:27 PM.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah it was at the t fitting that fed the toilet. Not comforting because everything LOOKED good, fitting was fine, pipe was fine, and the clamped looked good. But when I turned on the water it was spraying pretty good.

So I just cut the line before it and blocked it off. Once I've got the bathroom gutted I'm going to replace everything in there with pex. During that time I'm going to put a dehumidifier In there to dry up all the insulation, spray the entire area with mold killer, and rebuild.

The insulation is fiberglass, and the only mold there is on the paper/debri.

For the winter I'll be checking out the crawlspace every other week, and in the spring pull all the insulation from below, replace the rest of the polybutelyne with PEX, and reinsulate. Should be good to go then, hopefully.
              No E30 Club

Comment

The type of water lines I am seeing the gray stuff. First kind pex when they were coming out. atleast here in PA they have gone threw homes and replaced everything. The issues will not stop unless the crap is taken out.. Take my word for it.. Replace everything you can reach and keep taking it out as you have issues. Least in my own home I would. Too much work to find leaks, and fix all the water damage..

Comment

Oh yes, it's definitely all coming out next year. I looked around in the crawl space and this definitely isn't the first time there's been an issue.

There was a class action suit that would have had everything replaced for free, but it expired a while back. Unfortunate that one of the previous owners didn't know about it. Polybutelyne is the name of this crap.
                  No E30 Club

Comment

I couldn't think of the name of at the moment while typing it and actually missed you were going to remove it all. In the replay above mine. I was just thinking to myself I hope he doesn't close it up/repair everything else with Polybutelyne still in there.

Comment

speaking of potty renovations, here is what i have been up to for the last month or two.

this is the bath in our rental. here are the before pics. it was pretty dated. cultured marble everywhere. oak cabinets. 1980 needs its decor back.

light blue ceramic tile. i blasted it up with my 30lb demo hammer. i cut myself on the shards 3 or 4 times. ceramic sucks. porcelain is king.

i had already started demo by the time i took this pic. the cultured marble was leaking at the joints. this stuff is often put together with caulk. it never lasts. the floor was wet under the tub but i caught it soon enough that i didn't have any rot.

gutted

new tub in. hardie backer going up.

new shower valve tied into the preexisting cpvc. the one i removed was the 3 knob style. it was starting to leak too. this part of the house was probably built in the 40's. the sheetrock that i removed was dated 1991. i have to assume the last reno in this bathroom happened about that time. the plumbing had held up nicely otherwise.

joints are sealed and a waterproof membrane is painted over the hardie.

porcelain starting to go up.

new floor tile. after the thin set has dried for about 30 min or so, i like to set the lower half of the toilet over the drain hole. this way it will push the tile down a little to conform to the mating surface of the bottom of the bowl. this way it won't rock back and forth when people shit on it. also the wax ring will last longer that way if the bowl doesn't have movement.

i had to re mud all the walls to smooth them out. i was planning to fill in this recess with 2x4 studs and make it flush. my wife had other ideas so i put up rounded corner bead and mudded it in.

floating mirror.

matching mosiac also used in the shower tile pattern.

finished product with walls painted grey.

all together, i did all the work by myself, but we spent a total of 1500.00 bucks plus of minus a dollar or two.
                      Last edited by flyboyx; 07-30-2017, 06:41 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Looks good!
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

That looks awesome, and makes me feel much better about my situation! I kind of figured it shouldn't cost much with doing the work myself.

Right now we're talking about getting rid of the tub and putting a nice shower in. Figure nows the time since I'll be replumbing.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

That looks awesome, and makes me feel much better about my situation! I kind of figured it shouldn't cost much with doing the work myself.

Right now we're talking about getting rid of the tub and putting a nice shower in. Figure nows the time since I'll be replumbing.
                            i think this is probably a good idea. i would highly recommend keeping one tub in your home.(hopefully the guest or kids bathroom).

we will probably do the same at our house. i don't know your budget, but lowe's sells a fiberglass shower pan that fits in place of a normal tub. about 30"x60". it costs about 200 bucks. we are planning to go a step further in that they sell an out of the box glass frameless shower enclosure for about 700.00 that looks like it cost 3 grand. nothing i have seen can touch that look for the price. i would skip that cheap ass enclosure and tile the surround like i did in the pics above.

Last edited by flyboyx; 07-31-2017, 05:18 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Flyboy - cute dog.

Bathroom looks great too.
                              Steve • Toronto
                              1991 318is • Brillantrot
                              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                i think this is probably a good idea. i would highly recommend keeping one tub in your home.(hopefully the guest or kids bathroom).

we will probably do the same at our house. i don't know your budget, but lowe's sells a fiberglass shower pan that fits in place of a normal tub. about 30"x60". it costs about 200 bucks. we are planning to go a step further in that they sell an out of the box glass frameless shower enclosure for about 700.00 that looks like it cost 3 grand. nothing i have seen can touch that look for the price. i would skip that cheap ass enclosure and tile the surround like i did in the pics above.

Thanks for the heads up, that would honestly be perfect. Will have to take the Mrs. Out window shopping to see how she wants it.

And definitely keeping the tub in the kids bathroom! I'm not going to bath the dog in mine lol.
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X