Can't Remove Steering Wheel - Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Remove Steering Wheel - Please Help

Hey guys, need some help. Recently purchased a 1991 318is, and the previous owner swapped out the airbag for an Mtech 1 wheel. Pretty sweet.

Now, the alignment is slightly off, so I wanted to correct it, but can't for the life of me get the damned thing off. I'm pretty sure I'm following the procedure correctly: key out of the ignition, pop the roundel, 22mm socket, key in at 1st position, and pull. Only...it wont release. It moves perhaps a 16th of an inch along the column and then feels as though it's getting hung up on something. I've tried it with the key in 1st position (no idiot lights lit) and 2nd (all idiot lights lit), and still nothing.

The really messed up part is, is that I've seen it off! I sat there and watched the PO go through the exact same frustration, except it finally came after like 20 minutes of banging and swearing and hitting with a rubber mallet (which I also tried).

I'm frustrated and worried that I'm damaging something. Is it possible that it's "cross threaded" on there, in that the teeth are mis-aligned? Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Ben

By the way, this is the video that I followed; is it really supposed to be this easy?:

BMW TOOL: http://amzn.to/29tzN5xHow to remove a non-airbag E30 steering wheel. Pictured is an M-tech I steering wheel which is found in 325is, M3 and some 32...

Some of the splines on the wheel/column are probably a bit damaged, just keep working at it and you'll get it off of there, albeit with some further damage to the wheel. Do not pry on it, and do not try to remove it with the steering locked.

Also, are you sure that the steering wheel is clocked? It's all about the position of the steering flex disc assembly/joint when steering is centered. You'll also get a fair amount of wheel angle for one spline worth of movement, so it's not optimal to move the wheel.

If you need to make small adjustments you can do that fairly easily with the tie rods. Start by marking them in the same plane on each side and turn each side in opposition (shorten one, lengthen the other) to get that small bit of tweaking that you need. The idea being to turn each one the same amount.

FYI, we have other sections where this thread should have been posted as this is a specific section for M42 engine issues. You wanted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=130 but don't post there as a mod will probably move this thread.

Comment

Working...
    X