republican congressman wants our tax dollars to pay his rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by decay View Post
    but especially the first because the Rs are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, and if they take that stance, i expect them to lead by example and not request a housing stipend that is larger than lots of americans' paychecks because "my lifestyle".
    Taking home 2500/month requires about $23/hr-ish. And that's taxed, where things like allowances/stipends aren't. So that's really more like $28/hr which is well above the avg pay for a single person in this country.

Sorry sleeve, you aren't convincing anyone on this issue.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
      And a nice little loophole about travel:

"None of these totals include hundreds of other trips for which the military provides transportation; the costs of using those military aircraft are never disclosed."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...seas/98351442/
      here's the really fun part.

the military uses chartered flights for transport, a *lot*.

on my way into iraq, the only transit that was actually in a military aircraft was from riyadh to fallujah (via kuwait city).

every other part of transit, my brigade was on commercial aircraft.

so when you read this, don't assume that some representative or senator is being strapped to cargo webbing in a C-130.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

here's the really fun part.

the military uses chartered flights for transport, a *lot*.

on my way into iraq, the only transit that was actually in a military aircraft was from riyadh to fallujah (via kuwait city).

every other part of transit, my brigade was on commercial aircraft.

so when you read this, don't assume that some representative or senator is being strapped to cargo webbing in a C-130.
        Seconded. Would fly in and out of the air station I was stationed at on big, comfy, regular old planes. On-board bathrooms and in-flight movies galore. And I was only an NCO in the USMC.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

don't assume that some representative or senator is being strapped to cargo webbing in a C-130.
          but can i still imagine that

it's amusing to imagine
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
            And I was only an NCO in the USMC.
            i was just spec-4 mafia.

i didn't want SGT stripes, that's when they start making you accountable for shit. :P

#goddamnitcarl
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Congressmen have been making the same salary since 2009 (zero raises). Since then DC area housing is up considerably, likewise inflation since 2009 is about 22% (real number is likely higher). Yes maintaining two abodes is not cheap, living in the DC area it is not unheard of to hear of congressmen who live in their offices. The DC metro area has the highest income of all major metro areas, which has inflated housing considerably, further DC are housing did not drop that much during the financial crisis as federal jobs/contractors are more insulated.

Our congress is relatively not corrupt (compared to other countries). If you want to keep it that way, you need to make sure congressmen are compensated accordingly. In other words if you don't keep them paid well, they have more of an incentive to do naughty naughty things.

Sure plenty of congressmen are rich, but not all are. Not providing cost of living increases to congressmen will surely concentrate representation only from those who can afford to be congressmen.

The Democratic Party says it’s the party of the working class, but congressional Democrats this week complicated that pitch by calling for a pay raise for members of Congress.

As an aside, as a federal employee my pay has only gone up 4% since 2010 due to a pay cap/step 10 situation. The same issues for potential corruption applies as well.

Comment

"pay me more or i'll become corrupt", nice.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by profbooty View Post
                  Congressmen have been making the same salary since 2009 (zero raises). Since then DC area housing is up considerably, likewise inflation since 2009 is about 22% (real number is likely higher). Yes maintaining two abodes is not cheap, living in the DC area it is not unheard of to hear of congressmen who live in their offices. The DC metro area has the highest income of all major metro areas, which has inflated housing considerably, further DC are housing did not drop that much during the financial crisis as federal jobs/contractors are more insulated.

Our congress is relatively not corrupt (compared to other countries). If you want to keep it that way, you need to make sure congressmen are compensated accordingly. In other words if you don't keep them paid well, they have more of an incentive to do naughty naughty things.

Sure plenty of congressmen are rich, but not all are. Not providing cost of living increases to congressmen will surely concentrate representation only from those who can afford to be congressmen.

The Democratic Party says it’s the party of the working class, but congressional Democrats this week complicated that pitch by calling for a pay raise for members of Congress.

As an aside, as a federal employee my pay has only gone up 4% since 2010 due to a pay cap/step 10 situation. The same issues for potential corruption applies as well.

If an employee is unhappy with their situation they are free to seek alternative employment.

The fact someone took a job that means they need to live away from home needed to be considered prior to applying.

They could be corrupted is a reason they need to quit/be fired if it is a thing.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

^BUT BUT BUT.........that's only for us schmucks in the private sector!

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                      If an employee is unhappy with their situation they are free to seek alternative employment.

The fact someone took a job that means they need to live away from home needed to be considered prior to applying.

They could be corrupted is a reason they need to quit/be fired if it is a thing.
                      I think you're missing the point. If you don't raise congressional salaries, you are limiting your pool of talent to either the corruptible or those who don't deal much with regular people.

Neither are very good for our nation if congressmen's loyalties are not to their constituents. I feel strange as someone who is libertarian leaning to argue for greater compensation for congressmen.

Comment

I think you're missing the point. If you don't raise congressional salaries, you are limiting your pool of talent to either the corruptible or those who don't deal much with regular people.

Neither are very good for our nation if congressmen's loyalties are not to their constituents. I feel strange as someone who is libertarian leaning to argue for greater compensation for congressmen.
                        No you are missing the reality.

They know what the deal is long before they consider running for office. If they don't like the deal they are free to abstain.

On what planet is you don't pay me well so I will behave badly a viable argument for better compensation?

I work nights, (00:00-08:00) I don't like it. I knew what the deal was when I took the job. Can I now say shit! I hate these hours, give me the day shift or I'll do a bad job and or steal?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Oh dude, thanks for the laugh this morning. Representatives being "loyal" to those who voted for them vs the money that really got them elected.

Not sure if troll or willfully ignorant.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                            No you are missing the reality.

They know what the deal is long before they consider running for office. If they don't like the deal they are free to abstain.

On what planet is you don't pay me well so I will behave badly a viable argument for better compensation?

I work nights, (00:00-08:00) I don't like it. I knew what the deal was when I took the job. Can I now say shit! I hate these hours, give me the day shift or I'll do a bad job and or steal?
                            you're still missing the point

the congress critters aren't threatening to do start accepting bribes (although you can easily argue that lobbyist money is merely legalized bribery with rules about how the money can be used for election/re-election)

the reality of it is that while it's obviously morally repugnant to start stealing, self-dealing or using your position as a politician (a whole variety of different careers have the potential for similar problems) to enrich yourself, the chances of that occurring can be increased by not dealing with legitimate employee complaints.

just telling these people to like it or quit only works on an individual basis, it doesn't solve the problem for the next person who fills the position.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                              you're still missing the point

the congress critters aren't threatening to do start accepting bribes (although you can easily argue that lobbyist money is merely legalized bribery with rules about how the money can be used for election/re-election)

the reality of it is that while it's obviously morally repugnant to start stealing, self-dealing or using your position as a politician (a whole variety of different careers have the potential for similar problems) to enrich yourself, the chances of that occurring can be increased by not dealing with legitimate employee complaints.

just telling these people to like it or quit only works on an individual basis, it doesn't solve the problem for the next person who fills the position.

I did not say like it or quit (although that works too) I said when one accepts terms of employment it is disingenuous to demand changes after the fact.

They have an amazing deal. They get a ton of time off, perks up the ass and all kinds of power with legal ways to monetize the position.

If they don't like it, they are free to step down.

Comment

wouldn't it be better to pay them more to disincentivize them to monetize their position?

Comment

Working...
                                X