No announcement yet.

S54 swap questions and concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some options to choose from when installing the e30coolant sensor.
    -Drill and tap on Tstat
    -Adapter that replaces Tstat connecting pipe(best looking option)
    -Adpater for upper rad house

I chose to go with the upper rad adapter, so here it is. The hose is from an e36.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    E30love

Comment

Not that its a ton better when in the thermo housing but what happens when all the coolant falls out? Coolant temp will read normal and motor will be smokin! :P

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

^Be alert of the temperature gauge, any unusual needle movement shut it down lol.
        sigpic
        E30love

Comment

Charcoal Canister, what did u guys do? I don't have room for it.
          sigpic
          E30love

Comment

The prob is, it likely wont move at all. One of my office guys had an S54 E36 swap done years ago by nother shop, they put the coolant temp sensor in outflow/cold side of radiator where fan switch usually goes. HCore hose exploded at VIR. He did 2 laps at full WOT with no coolant and finally pulled off track when he couldnt figure out why his oil temps were 320+. Blocked was cracked in 4 cyls...

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

^Damn now you got me scared lol, I would have gone with the Technica Motorsports s54 coolant pipe option if I didn't already put everything together.

Maybe I should just pull everything off and do it right, damit! upper hose is cut already fml :(

I should thank you
              sigpic
              E30love

Comment

where is the stock coolant sensor? I should think you'd want the sensor on the engine side of the thermostat, not on the rad side...
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  where is the stock coolant sensor? I should think you'd want the sensor on the engine side of the thermostat, not on the rad side...
                  Ironically it was Technica that did the swap lol, though it was years ago like I said. Either way, yes you want the coolant temp sensor on the engine side of the thermostat not the radiator side.

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I'm in the process of adding a water pressure warning light to the port on the radiator, a must for a track car IMO. I have my temp sensor on the engine side, and fan switch in the hose splice that you have, which is working great for me. My fan comes on a 205* every time.
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

if you want to be really trick use the DME to control the fan via PWM. you need a control module (I cut one from an E46 330i) and the fan control table needs modified to be used without a clutch fan, but it would work really well.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                        I'm in the process of adding a water pressure warning light to the port on the radiator, a must for a track car IMO. I have my temp sensor on the engine side, and fan switch in the hose splice that you have, which is working great for me. My fan comes on a 205* every time.
                        I probably will end up doing what your doing cause I really don't want to take things apart to add the coolant adapter pipe.
                        sigpic
                        E30love

Comment

Originally posted by jink0619 View Post
                          Charcoal Canister, what did u guys do? I don't have room for it.
                          First thought was to go without it and just plug up the hose. But as I'm walking around the local junkyard I found a charcoal canister bracket from an M30 e34 and it can be bolted to the engine arm along with the Power steering reservoir yay! That problem solved!
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          E30love

Comment

Could you tell me the wire colors that you have plugged into the solenoid for the line to the charcoal canister? I plugged everything there, but my tank is having negative pressure problems, so I need to hook everything back up
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Beautiful wheel color~

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                                Could you tell me the wire colors that you have plugged into the solenoid for the line to the charcoal canister? I plugged everything there, but my tank is having negative pressure problems, so I need to hook everything back up
                                The connector plug to the Valve?

Originally posted by 17sd View Post
                                Beautiful wheel color~
                                Thank you
                                sigpic
                                E30love

Comment

Working...
                                X