DIY: In depth M52/S52 OBD2 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sublimation View Post
    I don't have the stock E30 hose. I need the correct part number to order it. Anyone?
    I believe it is part #12

My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

hi guys.

i know i need to take a wire from pin 14 on x20 to my cluster to get the VSS for my m52 ecu, but i don't know where.
      yes, in the cruise control housing, but where..i only have 5 holes, i don't have the green plug.

thanks for all
      Last edited by Mr Mpower; 10-21-2014, 05:19 AM.
      sigpic
      https://twitter.com/PetrolHeadSpain
      http://spainpetrolheads.wordpress.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/PetrolHeadsSpain?fref=ts

Comment

Just a quick one re: the coolant temp sender.

Is there any reason why you can't just run a simple stand-alone circuit from the sender to the cluster?

Comment

I have easier solution for this, no welding required. Leave the E34 dipstick alone. Cut the nipple from E36 oil dipstick about two inches. Measure the girth then use same size drill bit and dril a hole on the oil pan just near the dipstick hole then insert E36 nipple and put some jb weld to seal it. You would want to drill the oil pan before it is put on the engine.

Originally posted by pwagon717 View Post
          Need to get one of those Modified dip sticks

Comment

i would like to add that Z3M arms are compatible and are exactly the same as 325i/is/m3 arms.

Comment

Really cool to see that people are still using this thread as reference. I wish I could be more involved with helping people out that message me, but school is killing me lately. Good luck to anyone taking on this swap!
              It's been very fun to drive and this setup hasn't failed or given me issues!
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Does anyone have a contact for DesertBMW, Id really like to talk to them about getting my tune done as well.

Comment

Nevermind, I realized they posted 3 posts above me :|

Comment

Cheap != better in the tune regard.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      +1 I run a MMW ECU with M50 manifold and all emissions and EWS deleted. It's flawless and turned OBD2 into a plug and play install. Just as simple as OBD1 imo but now I can scan codes :D
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

You couldnt scan codes with OBD1? My BAUM tool disagrees. And my stomp test. Just saying......

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
                          You couldnt scan codes with OBD1? My BAUM tool disagrees. And my stomp test. Just saying......
                          touche. Didn't mean to sound like you can't. Obviously you can. Not starting an obd1 vs obd2 thing here...
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

How many man hours?

I have done the eta swap in my e30, and it took me about 20 hours, I am curious about how much this would be? I have a e36 m3 I am going to be swapping whatever I need off of. Any idea or am I asking too much here... Anything helps.
                            Thanks,
                            Jimmy
                            -Jimmy

Comment

am I the only one who sees dead photos in post 1?

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                                You need to shorten and thread the 944 booster input rod, but it is the same thread diameter and pitch as the E30 clevis.
                                Did this any found out that there is one other difference between the e30 and the 944 boosters: The e30 one has a bump out where the booster bolts against the firewall, the 944 is missing that.
                                E30:

The 944 just requires a much closer firewall clearance than the stock e30 one does. Required that I trim away a lot of the firewall insulation (no big deal), and also relocate the brake line heading to the RF wheel (bigger deal). Doesn't really fit all that well, but good enough. If I'd have known about it I would have either gotten a different booster or made a spacer plate. As it is, I can't go the spacer route having already cut off the input rod to the right length.

After looking at some 944 images just now, it seems as if they're not all the same. However, mine was just like the one shown.
                                S52-Powered 1987
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X