thoughts on a new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on a new toy

Whats up everyone? my name is kevin i currently drive a 06 GTI. Heres the BUILDTHREAD for those of you interested.

Im new around these parts and need exactly what the thread title states: opinions. Im planning to see a 1984 318i tomorrow that is for sale locally. The seller has it priced at $2500. What are your thoughts? What should be my concerns when looking at this car aside from rust and interior? etc etc

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

List of mods:
    new xxr sportmaxx with brand new tires
    "headers with 2 inch pipe and flow master"
    short shifter
    h&r lowering springs
    drilled rotors

Needs:
    tie rods
    "header needs to be tighten air is escaping a little"
    heater core

onto some pics

some VW content
    Last edited by kevvve; 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM.
    BUILDTHREAD
    WTB LIST

Looks pretty clean. Recent paint job? look under the car for leaks, uneven body panels, drive it listen for squeals, unusual noises, definitely compression test the motor if you can get a tester.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I would be concerned with that tiny motor.....

Comment

Originally posted by woodisgood View Post
        everybody knows its not the size that matters, its how you use it. I've had fun with the m10

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
          Looks pretty clean. Recent paint job? look under the car for leaks, uneven body panels, drive it listen for squeals, unusual noises, definitely compression test the motor if you can get a tester.
          Yea i believe the paint is relative fresh. interior needs some TLC definitely.

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
          everybody knows its not the size that matters, its how you use it. I've had fun with the m10
          At first i was feeling meh about the m10 but for the price i mean itll do for now. ill most likely mess around with a swap of somesort.
          BUILDTHREAD
          WTB LIST

Comment

Perfect base for an M30 conversion.
            M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

Comment

"air is escaping a little"

LOL

that is a new name for an exhaust leak. or call it cheap ebay junk headers

Comment

Hey man, welcome aboard.

Pretty intimidating to go into a new car scene, right?
                With that said, don't let that get you screwed over backwards., I sold an 84/318i with no suspension, real recaro seats (not sport), ellipsoids, 17" wheels (not pictured), euro side markers, nice muffler & pipping, KAMEI sideskirts, early IS valance and nicely detailed for $1400.00 a very fair price for the car. It had small issues as a sputtering between gears, which were discussed before the sale., all in all the new owner is a new enthusiast happy with a great deal, I could have gotten more but like I said, it went towards a new enthusiast.
                Here's a couple of pictures for comparison and see if you can go much, much lower on the price.

Good luck and hope to see you back soon with your new e30.
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

You're in California though..I think e30s are cheaper in california.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OniKyan View Post
                    Perfect base for an M30 conversion.
                    I would a m30. It could very likely be an option for this car if I get it at a decent price and find a complete swap cheap.

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                    "air is escaping a little"

LOL

that is a new name for an exhaust leak. or call it cheap ebay junk headers
                    lol eBay was the first thing I thought when I read his ad. I wouldn't doubt it if it was eBay quality.

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                    Hey man, welcome aboard.

Pretty intimidating to go into a new car scene, right?
                    With that said, don't let that get you screwed over backwards., I sold an 84/318i with no suspension, real recaro seats (not sport), ellipsoids, 17" wheels (not pictured), euro side markers, nice muffler & pipping, KAMEI sideskirts, early IS valance and nicely detailed for $1400.00 a very fair price for the car. It had small issues as a sputtering between gears, which were discussed before the sale., all in all the new owner is a new enthusiast happy with a great deal, I could have gotten more but like I said, it went towards a new enthusiast.
                    Here's a couple of pictures for comparison and see if you can go much, much lower on the price.

Good luck and hope to see you back soon with your new e30.
                    iron-e thanks alot for the info & great looking e30. You're absolutely right i know VWs so I'm pretty new to this whole e30 scene. Thankfully a good friend of mine Misha (subject for drivenmotive.com 2nd feature) has 2 his daily that is unfortunately sold and a e21 he's building into something serious.

Originally posted by jasonbk View Post
                    whatever the case may be for that price it's a hell of a deal.

I'm going to check out the car tomorrow to see what it's like in person and what kind of deal I can work this guy. I'll take some better pictures of it and post them up as well.

A few other things I want to mention the car was originally priced at $3k. I also asked the seller about the interior today via text he told me that he would rate the interior 7/10. Front seats don't match the rear and the headliner is "ripped"....
                    BUILDTHREAD
                    WTB LIST

Comment

A few other things I want to mention the car was originally priced at $3k. I also asked the seller about the interior today via text he told me that he would rate the interior 7/10. Front seats don't match the rear and the headliner is "ripped"....[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound like a 7of 10....careful that the rest of the car isnt overrated.

I agree with iron-e. That is a 1500-1700 car.....

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbk View Post
                        True I am in California but the e30 market, has skyrocketed here too. I could have gotten at least $2500.00 as it sat in those pics I had to sell it to fund other projects and I didn't want to pony up for a 3rd car insurance and registration payment.

That doesn't sound like a 7of 10....careful that the rest of the car isnt overrated.

I agree with iron-e. That is a 1500-1700 car.....
                        Yeap that's the target price I thought of.
                        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

don't pay 2500 for that, it's missing some things, door panels look like diferent colors. how many miles? from the pics I agree with the rest 15-1700
                          "I wanna see da boat movie"
                          "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

it has ~150k. heading out to check it out now
                            BUILDTHREAD
                            WTB LIST

Comment

holy m10 batman. wanna race?
                              paint looks really nice good color :up:
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment