Driving Cross Country (non BMW content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Cross Country (non BMW content)

Im sure a few of you living in areas of snow an rainy conditions have considered buying a vehicle out west and driving it back to your place of residence. Ive wanted an older Toyota pickup but where I live in the Northeast finding an original, non rusted one is hard. Browsing Craigslist about I week ago I came upon this guy. A 1990 Pickup, 22RE engine, 4wd base model. 208K miles but well cared for.

Contacted the owner and soon had a flight out to San Francisco. Got a rental car and drive 2 hours to Manteca where I met the seller. A deal was made and there I was ready to begin my journey with 3000 miles ahead of me. I was very nervous and excited at this point.

First stop was Lake Tahoe to see a friend of mine.

After leaving Tahoe my goal was to make Salt Lake City. Most of the day was spent crossing 400+ miles of Nevada desert.

I-80 East

Made it to Salt Lake that night. Continued on in the morning hoping to get to Nebraska. Photo taken in Utah.

Wyoming

Chicago

It ended up being just over 3000 miles in 6 days. It was a lot of driving for just myself but worth it for me. Im in love with this truck. The Japanese engineers sure made a great vehicle.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Great pick up (pun intended)!

The most driving I've done was 1500 over 2 days at a leisurely pace. Would love to take the time to make it cross country like in the Bus RV conversion thread.
    Swanny!
    SUCKERS.

Comment

What did you end up paying for just the truck, not the trip. Definitely thought about this many times! Its not fun to buy cars in NE unless you get lucky.

Comment

Nice, makes me miss road-tripping the old Ranger.

Comment

Lulz like how you got no pics of getting into Omaha etc. this place sucks

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            so... flat...
            Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
              so... flat...

I know haha no good scenery until the badlands and up by Wyoming/ south Dakota where the black hills start

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I know haha no good scenery until the badlands and up by Wyoming/ south Dakota where the black hills start
                I wouldn't know to be honest - I've only seen it from the air. I guess I'm basing that more on popular opinion...
                Instagram
                sigpic
                Current: 99 M3
                Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

I actually kind of like driving from Valentine to North Platte on 83. That's a pretty drive.
                  sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                    I actually kind of like driving from Valentine to North Platte on 83. That's a pretty drive.

Yea its not bad up there cause its by the hills so your on the edge of them. Now how do you like driving out by me and grand island haha. The roads arent even fun. It blows.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

For a family thing 2 weeks ago, I flew down to PHX my brother picked me up and we drove to southern MI, did the family thing a saw some people hung around for a couple of days and drove back to Tuscon. all in all 6210 miles in 8 days, in a 2001 GTP...... My back still hurts
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Lodsin View Post
                        What did you end up paying for just the truck, not the trip. Definitely thought about this many times! Its not fun to buy cars in NE unless you get lucky.
                        I paid $3700. I have bought ones in the NE and even ones posted with "no rust" always have a little if you dig into them.

I remember the big abandoned gain silo and that's about it from Omaha. I was actually surprised. Thought there would be a lot less trees in Nebraska then there were.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        For a family thing 2 weeks ago, I flew down to PHX my brother picked me up and we drove to southern MI, did the family thing a saw some people hung around for a couple of days and drove back to Tuscon. all in all 6210 miles in 8 days, in a 2001 GTP...... My back still hurts
                        I did 5000 in 12 days. NY to glacier nat park, up into BC and down the coast to California. I thought that was too much driving. 6210 in 8 days is madness.

The Build:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                          I paid $3700. I have bought ones in the NE and even ones posted with "no rust" always have a little if you dig into them.

I remember the big abandoned gain silo and that's about it from Omaha. I was actually surprised. Thought there would be a lot less trees in Nebraska then there were.

I did 5000 in 12 days. NY to glacier nat park, up into BC and down the coast to California. I thought that was too much driving. 6210 in 8 days is madness.

If you would of drove through about 3-4 weeks ago those silo's would of been spray painted and it would of said "dump Trump" haha city sent someone out and paint over it. Only out in western Nebraska is it almost desert like. Once you hit kearney/ grand island it gets real green. I know exactly which route you took through here. You were from one side of Omaha and on there side of council bluffs in about 20-25 min haha.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I had one of those a few years ago. Bought it, loaded it up with camping supplies and a futon, and drove it 5 hours to our new home in the woods (long story). Mine was an '89 DLX long bed 4x4. A lot like yours (I think I paid 3900 in 2009 and it had like 140k, but was V6 with an auto) There's something about the Toyota pickup "go anywhere" mentality I've tried to bring over to my bmw. I'm planning on doing a cross country trip from CT back to CA next month and wish I had the bed space!

I ended up selling it in 2013 for like 4500 at 190k after some new head gaskets. I don't think I'd buy another one (too small) but I certainly fell in love with it

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I did something similar, twice.

Drove out here to Phoenix AZ to help a good friend move in his lifted durango from upstate NY where we lived. 2 years later made the move myself out here in my e46 with his help, it was an incredible trip both times. If you can take the time and take a road trip across our country, do it, truly some awesome experiences out there on the road.

Im planning on taking another trip up the west coast to Oregon possibly on an old BMW airhead bike or something else vintage, we will see...

Comment

Working...
                              X