Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Volvo owners here?

Thoughts on a Volvo daily driver?

any details?? year, model, ?????? anything...................

Comment

I've had a 245 turbo, and an 850 turbo wagon (T5). Smart, well-engineered, well-built cars. Great seats for long trips.

850s are cheap now, and I'm sure there will be some neglect and deferred maintenance to deal with, but solid cars. Wagon is most useful and better looking IMO. Turbo is the one to get - mine has 230hp and a lot of the torks. Smooth, fast, quiet, useful. Very hard to find a manual - maybe they sent us four.

We're looking at a one-owner 2004 V70XC a friend is selling. 120k and cheap. We'd like to find a 67 or 68 122 wagon sometime...maybe wishful thinking.

850s became V70s in the late 90s, that body was designed by the same guy who designed the 122 and 1800ES - true story. The next series, 2001-02, had some transmission issues, which they fixed with a different valve body design in '03. From '03 up, I can hardly find any complaints on boards about problems or reliability.

BTW, my neighbor's wife in Seattle was T'd by a drunk driver at 50 mph right on the driver's B-post in her 240 wagon. Destroyed the drunks car, moved her seat to the right about a foot and started to peel the B-post out of the roof structure. She had a bruised shoulder. And the 850 is way safer than the 240.

Comment

Paging e30trooper ...............cough cough ben. lol
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I liked the 1989 to 1991 740 turbo's. I worked at Scandia Volvo dealer in Whittier,Ca between those years writing service. The b230f & ft motors were really good engine's. Not a bad car i think,i wasn't a fan when they went fwd. Everything kinda went down hill when that happened i think.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

740's a good car but getting kind of ancient I think. I don't think people took very good care of them, just drove and drove until something quit.

Comment

Well I went out and picked up a 2013 xc60 T6 awd.

It is a really nice car, however I feel it is too big for just getting around town and My inner E30 kid wants to downsize. Also downsize in cost.

I just want a nimble reliable daily driver. How about s70?

Comment

I own two - a 1998 V70 Wagon, automatic with the low pressure turbo and a 1998 S70 T5 with a manual transmission. Both are solid, reliable cars.

Do not buy one without maintenance records. Just like our E30's, they need love from time to time (timing belt, PCV system, etc.) Repairs are not overly complicated or expensive but can add up. The AWD systems up through 2002 were problematic. And if the air conditioning is not working the likely cause is an evaporator that involves removing the entire dashboard to replace. Maintenance on a car that needs a lot of things done will quickly cost more than the car itself.

While I love the versatility of my V70 wagon, my S70 with the bigger turbo and the manual transmission puts a big ass grin on my face every time I drive it!

The E30 collection:
                1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

IMHO the S70 (despite the delaminating door panels and finniky ABS component(s)...and what was listed above) is the best of that range, beginning with the 850's. Also consider the electrical systems on these Volvo's. Many have a tendency to eat light bulbs constantly and blow fuses for fun...ijs, it's pretty common (from someone who's owned several since the 240's)

The other plus for them is the tighter turning radius. All S60's have a radius that's on par with large SUV's/city busses so I'd avoid them.

Sadly at this age it's getting harder and harder to find them in really nice shape. Most have been trashed as their resale value was less than comparable European cars in that age range.

OP if I was in your position I'd have the same feelings about the decision. Thankfully whenever I consider a Lolvo my GF brings me back to my senses and I throw some money at my E30/motorcycle :nice:

good luck in your decision
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ANAK View Post
                    Well I went out and picked up a 2013 xc60 T6 awd.
                    Well that's not very r3v of you! R3v would buy a $500 740 wagon with a mismatched door and a rebuilt transmission!

2013, pish posh, you don't need us.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      Well that's not very r3v of you! R3v would buy a $500 740 wagon with a mismatched door and a rebuilt transmission!

2013, pish posh, you don't need us.

The S70's are pretty cheap. Its just the constant repairs..

Comment

Well at this point I am just thinking about trading in the xc60 for an s60.

So what do you think about the 2013 or 2014 S60 t5?

Comment

Turns like a bus, very $$$ repairs (but considering the age of cars you choosing, $$$ doesnt' seem to be a problem for you).

Also, since it's the first couple of years of the refreshed model, it'll have a few more gremlins to address. Hopefully it still has some warranty remaining...no way I'd buy a newer Volvo without a warranty!

Why not consider a Turbo Buick Verano/Regal? similar performance, comfy, quiet, fast, cheaper than a Volvo to repair (mostly cheaper parts), no silly PCV system that causes the engine to go to shit if it's not maintained closely

Comment

So the turning radius seems to be the biggest complaint.

Comment

what years you looking at?

Comment

Working...
                              X