No announcement yet.

Our new Project E30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5mm spacer on the rear due to the tire size rubbing against the inner chassis. None anywhere else.
    235/40/17 Nittos NT01 R-Comps.

Sorry, don't have anymore wheel shots at the moment.
    Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

I didn't know you made more progress. I'll have to come by tomorrow and check it out.

Cheers,

Brian

Comment

Did you do the cage in-house or sub it out?

Also, any thoughts on the coilovers? You don't hear of many people (on r3v) running them.

The body and paint really look great!

Comment

awesome project car. That is the same tire I plan on running, although with the R888 out now in that size, I may bite the bullet and test those out.

The attachment points for the rear of your roll bar are much different then I've normally seen. I know there is a diff mount down there, but I thought it was on the other side. was that point selected just because it was in line with the front mounting location?

Here is how it's done in mine

I see you already bought wheels, but I have a group buy going on a custom batch of 17" LTW-5 wheels with an e30 specific offset (16lbs. semi forged, they'll either be 8 or 8.5" wide depending on demand). I haven't posted about it on this forum, but I will soon.

I really like the oil relocation idea. I keep having to pull off my airbox just to remove the filter on my s14. I'm hoping to come up with something in the next few weeks.

I look forward to more updates and engine build photos :D

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PaintPro21 View Post
            The attachment points for the rear of your roll bar are much different then I've normally seen. I know there is a diff mount down there, but I thought it was on the other side. was that point selected just because it was in line with the front mounting location?
            Those plates roughly pick up the rear upper spring perches, which is the right place on an e30 without proper rear coilovers.

There are a few other things a little "off" about the cage, but that much was done right.

Comment

How did you install the trunk?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                Those plates roughly pick up the rear upper spring perches, which is the right place on an e30 without proper rear coilovers.

There are a few other things a little "off" about the cage, but that much was done right.
                That makes sence. I had to ask since I've seen so many different bars done for the e30 and they all had something done differently in the rear. although the majority I've seen around here for e30's and e36's alike would run the bar between the towers and then the down tubes would attach to that cross bar.

Your exhaust is very similar to mine as well, although your muffler is much smaller. It would probably safe to assume that yours will be trailered to the track, I sadly have to listen to drone all the way there and back ;)

keep us posted.

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

The cage was done by a different company. We debated and inspected the various rear mounting locations to determine the best location. The floorboard we determined had the thickest metal, and was much more heavily reinforced than the wheel well area. The certified engineer doing the cage design felt it would hold up much better than the wheel well arch. He had not done an E30 design, so didn't approach it with any preconceived designs, and built it entirely based on load and geometry. We think it came out great.

The trunk lid was installed using 2 hood pins on the upper corners like these.

Then we used dezus fasteners on the back which mount to a small plate we drilled in. You can see the fasteners here.

The muffler is a 14" Magnaflow and is definitely LOUD. We're probably going to go up to a 16" shortly. The noise inhibits our ability to talk with passengers during driving schools, so we definitely need to quiet it down.
                  Mike

Comment

And onto stage 2 of the project here!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel View Post
                      That would be great Mike. I need that exact cat (Magnaflow 43009) when I return to the States in about 4 weeks, so that I can get my S50 to pass smog.

Possibly we can work something out so that I can take it off your hands when you guys are done with it :).

Going to order the BBS centercaps in a week, BTW.
                      hey Ben Carufel, did you get to install Magnaflow 43009? hows it doing so far? you see, I have the magnaflow 43009 just installed and I love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty (the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here magnaflow 43009, or you can try one of the vendors here, they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install. keep us posted :):)
                      Last edited by jbracefan1977; 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

That thing is TITTTSS!

Nice job!
                        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
                        X