Hyperloop FTW.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
      Was waiting for that to pop in.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
        High speed rail is a money losing business in most of the world... and so is flying. Aviation consumes less capital, less land and oh yeah, it can cross oceans. On the other hand the TSA would like to examine you colon every time you get on a plane but I'm sure they would do the same thing with high speed rail if we had that.

I see you have no idea what you're talking about.
        I see you have no idea how airline pricing works.
        2011 1M Alpine white/black
        1996 Civic white/black
        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          Only two lines in the entire world are profitable. And the gov't would screw up the ease of train travel just like they have with air travel.
          Which ones are you referring to?

The profitable line I rode one was fantastic and comfortable.

nrubenstein, how do you not get this?
          I don't think you or sleeve get his point and are exchanging it for what you think his argument is.

There's lines that make profit and those who don't. Focusing on the ones that don't make profit does not mean that any new lines necessarily have to flounder... just like how there being empty flights on some routes do not mean that a new direct service elsewhere cannot be successful...

The talk of transcontinental HSR is a bit silly since there aren't a lot of stops of note in the "fly over states" and most would probably still travel coast-to-coast via airplane... but regional lines can make sense. Acela has a 75% share of air/train travel between DC and NYC. A bit of this is because the shorter a flight is, the most time is spent in security, pre-boarding, and picking up your bag (wasted), while that percentage of a long flight had a low percentage of total travel time. And it helps to have good public transport on both ends.

Why should the rest of the country subsidize my vacation flights?
          It's not so much vacation flights since flights from metro areas to hubs and hubs to vacation destinations would probably get along fine on their own... but it is more like Essential Air Service paying for air routes from BFE Montana and other rural areas that are heavily subsidized and wouldn't exist if the free market determined their availability. Those flights are like the routes that Amtrak supports even if it doesn't make financial sense if they had a choice in the matter.

Comment

The concept looks great although the cost estimates seem a bit cheap.

This reminded me of a Christmas present from when I was a kid. I googled a while to find 'Rocket Tubes' from 1979. Unfortunately, it never worked as well as it looked.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

On the cost for that, is way too fucking low. TransCanada is wanting to spend about 8 BILLION to build a 36" diameter tube that is made out of steel, and going to be buried in the fucking ground. The Aleskya consortium spent about 8 billion in the late 70'- early 80's to build a 48" steel tube that moves fucking oil, and 3/4 of that one is at least above the ground. Granted these are much longer in distance but many times less complex than an air hockey table people moving tube.

You really think with the labor rates in CA and the land values to get the route, and build something big enough to move people in-mass at speed safely is going to cost 6b......... Job I just came off of Contractor was getting just shy of 3/4 of B to install 120 miles of 20" pipeline, JUST INSTALL Gas company bought the materials and this is OHIO.

I see a cost over run of at least 200% to get it built.
              Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-19-2013, 06:02 PM.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

On the cost for that, is way too fucking low. TransCanada is wanting to spend about 8 BILLION to build a 36" diameter tube that is made out of steel, and going to be buried in the fucking ground. The Aleskya consortium spent about 8 billion in the late 70'- early 80's to build a 48" steel tube that moves fucking oil, and 3/4 of that one is at least above the ground. Granted these are much longer in distance but many times less complex than an air hockey table people moving tube.

You really think with the labor rates in CA and the land values to get the route, and build something big enough to move people in-mass at speed safely is going to cost 6b......... Job I just came off of Contractor was getting just shy of 3/4 of B to install 120 miles of 20" pipeline, JUST INSTALL Gas company bought the materials and this is OHIO.

I see a cost over run of at least 200% to get it built.

Even if the hyper loop's actual cost soared to $40 billion it would still be something worth looking into considering the 'estimated' $68 billion cost for the CHSR's phase 1.

The hyper loop's average projected speed is at least 3 times faster than the projected average speed for the Sacramento to L.A segment.

Another plus is that it would be the first of it's kind in the world and truly put us in the spotlight for innovation.

Researching it's feasibility wouldn't be such a shot in the dark. /the dreared mention of CHSR
                Last edited by Dozyproductions; 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Not that I dont disagree with that assessment, at that price tag it will never recoup those costs plus its operational costs in its service life........ Fares would be prohibitively high for general usage and would be a thing for the richers..........
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

How or where do you figure the numbers for usage and fare price?

Comment

Fares would be prohibitively high for general usage and would be a thing for the richers..........
                      Perfect. No more smelly proles fucking up my business travel.

Improving the air travel is easier, cheaper, and will have more benefit to the traveler. It's the way to go. High speed rail is a glamour project outside of the NE Corridor.
                      1996 Civic white/black
                      1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

^
                        On this we are in agreement totally

40b / 100 bucks a ticket would take 400 million tickets sold just to recoup the construction costs, let alone the 10's of millions a year in operational costs.

USA today reported April of this year that Amtrak Acela routes in the NE carried 5.5m people in the 1st 2 quarters, so that 11m people a year where there are many more large and populace cities to service for ridership . If you want use the acela routes as a benchmark its going to take nearly 40 years to recoup a cost of construction alone with your 40b figure, which I think is a more realistic number to build such a contrivance in CA. With a moderate cost of 100 bucks a fare. I have traveled across most of the country on Amtrak for 198 bucks before....................

William Pitt-

Comment

^
                          On this we are in agreement totally

40b / 100 bucks a ticket would take 400 million tickets sold just to recoup the construction costs, let alone the 10's of millions a year in operational costs.

USA today reported April of this year that Amtrak Acela routes in the NE carried 5.5m people in the 1st 2 quarters, so that 11m people a year where there are many more large and populace cities to service for ridership . If you want use the acela routes as a benchmark its going to take nearly 40 years to recoup a cost of construction alone with your 40b figure, which I think is a more realistic number to build such a contrivance in CA. With a moderate cost of 100 bucks a fare. I have traveled across most of the country on Amtrak for 198 bucks before....................
                          I actually agree with you on most things. I just like antagonizing you.
                          1996 Civic white/black
                          1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I see I will have to keep that in mind ;)

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                            X