Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to put the mount for the distributor rotor on incorrectly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to put the mount for the distributor rotor on incorrectly?

After finishing the timing belt job on my formerly running eta, it cranks but doesn't start. I got a couple of what seemed like backfires out of the intake, if that's even possible. I checked to make sure the engine is in time several times over, as well as the main relay, fuel pump, fuel pump relay etc...

I'm now retracing my steps to see where I may have gone wrong. It seems to me like it's not firing at the right time. I replaced the camshaft seals behind the sprocket as per the Pelican parts DIY. Is it possible to install the mount for the distributor rotor (number 7 in the diagram below), or any of the other associated parts, incorrectly or backwards?

Backwards - not to my knowledge.

Incorrectly - possibly. There is a small "notch" on part #7 that indexes it to the camshaft sprocket. It would theoretically be possible to not have that lined up correctly.

Check that you have the plug wires installed on the distributor cap in the correct order and the correct wire on each spark plug. If one or two of them are mixed up you would get the same result.

Got all the hoses and intake boot back on correctly and the wiring attached to the air flow meter and other sensor on the airbox?

Beyond that, start with the standard checks - spark while cranking, fuel pressure, etc. and let us know.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

You sure you don't have the cam 180° out of time?

Comment

it's possible. while there is a key, I came across one that had been installed wrong and they just forced it down. so much so that it actually dented the rotor mount, allowing you to install it in the wrong orientation. it even felt like you had it on the right notch when you didn't. I threw that one away after having it wipe out a brand new cap & rotor..

I would check the plug wires to make sure you have them in the right order.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So the problem ended up being that my "hook" that goes between the head and the timing cover to which the cap mounts was missing since I got the car. When I put everything together I tightened it all down as far as it could go, which made everything too close together and caused the cap to press on the rotor which caused the rotor mount torx bolt to come loose and no longer be seated in its notch.

Funny, huh?

Comment

yeah I think I did that once too lol
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X