My car is satan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is satan

And here I thought we were on good terms lol.

Okay so my car hates me. It stopped running awhile back and it turned out to be the CPS. Replaced it and it ran great....for 2 days.
    I also replaced the FPR, and fuel filter. After I left a stop light this morning on the way to work and the check engine light came on. The car was coughing and had zero power even at 4k rpm. Smoke was coming out the exhaust that smelt like straight gas. Had it towed home and the code was Lambda 1. I figured it could possibly be the original or even second one the car has ever seen (cars at 168K) so I replaced it with a new bosch one and still nothing. I just want to drive it so bad.
    It has spark and it obviously has more than enough fuel. The plugs were wet.
    The only thing I can think of is the AFM and the TPS. I know that even if the CTS is bad it would still start.

Any help is appreciated.

New plugs. Got cracks in the big rubber intake hose or other vacuum leaks? Check all the parts that get spark to your spark plugs including cap and rotor and for the presence of spark. Did your AFM electrical plug fall off?

Comment

Make sure the CPS you just installed didn't come loose and it's at its appropriate distance.
      Run the car with the o2 disconnected and see how that goes.
      Wouldn't be a bad thing to replace the temperature (ECU not gauge) sensor on the thermostat housing.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

See http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...5&postcount=12
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Tried starting it with the AFM unplugged. Nothing
          Tried starting it with o2 sensor unplugged. Nothing

So I decided it was time to check TPS and started the process for taking the TB off. I figured it needed a cleaning while I was there and it would make checking the TPS easier. Right when I removed the intake elbow a good ounce of fuel poured out. Super rich.
          Checking the TPS and indeed there was no continuity between the idle and middle terminal at any throttle position. The WOT was fine. I adjusted it and the only way I can get both to read continuity is were I have the TPS clocked so the idle always has continuity with a closed butterfly and soon after opening it continuity is broken. WOT was unaffected. Is it okay to drive with the sensor adjusted like this.

Comment

Also my car is an auto (which sucks) but it has the 3 pin TPS. When I look at pictures of auto TPS's though they all have 6 pins.

Comment

Okay so I'm dumb continuity is supposed to be there with the butterfly closed.

Comment

Put it all back together and still nothing

Comment

Just did a compression test and the mean average was-
                  #1 89 psi
                  #2 79 psi
                  #3 125 psi
                  #4 50 psi
                  #5 54 psi
                  #6 59 psi

She's old and tired for sure. Would this cause her not to start/run? I feel like she would but just run like shit.

Comment

With that kind of compression numbers, I think she is quite past her retirement age.

Comment

Yeah. I'm looking for a replacement atm

Comment

Do an oil change with the thickest oil you can find and see if the compression numbers come up. You can put some oil in the spark plug holes and do another compression test to see if it's your rings or valves.

Comment

Putting thicker oil in and oil in the cylinders will only go so far. It can't cure low compression indefinitely.

Comment

Pulled the head. Valves weren't bent and the HG was still fine. Has to be worn rings.

Comment

Working...
                            X