Ireland Engineering - Urethane Subframe Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland Engineering - Urethane Subframe Bushings

Product: Urethane Subframe Bushings (Street)
    Price @ review: $40/ea (2 required)
    Company: Ireland Engineering
    URL: http://www.bmw2002.com/

I installed these in my car last week. I've put a little over 100miles on these since. I must say I am quite happy with them.

Dry road cornering traction seems to have been improved a bit. Ass end really does feel significantly more planted. I could feel the stock (worn) subframe bushings shifting under load. The character of the car is changed for the better with the IE units. Traction over bumpy roads also seems to have improved. There is a particular road I always have trouble with. Walnut is section concrete, and accelerating on it in the past has resulted in loss of traction as the wheels hop up and down over the sections. This problem is completely gone with the IE units.

Pros:

Stiffer rear end, does not shift under cornering or acceleration loads.
    Better, more predictable handling.
    Ass end "character" changed for the better.

Cons:

Extra noise transmitted to passenger compartment. Noticable, but not too much so.
    Extra vibration transmitted to passenger compartment. Mostly in the form of a light vibration between 40-80mph (in my car)
    Bumps in the road are quite a bit more sharp with their impact.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Ditto except I got no vibrations.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

Same Here, I noticed the Ride being a little more Harsh, and some vibrations but I think some of that is from my make shift Exhuast which is hitting the underside. Once I get my proper exhuast on I'll be able to realy test the car in the curvy roads.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I have the same bushings, love them so far (over 20k on them now). Didn't notice much more noise but I have all the sound insulation. Doesn't seem to harsh either, just solid :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have got them

I was having vibration from the old worn out ones, I know these will not wear out in 10years time :)

I´m very happy with them ,
          Gunni
          @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

I have the "race" version in my car. My only problem with them was that i had to trim quite a bit of material off the lips on the lower portion. The retainer that bolts on the pinch rail was smaller in diameter than the bushing. I had to trim half the lip off to get it to fit right.

Comment

Originally posted by robweenerpi
              I have the "race" version in my car. My only problem with them was that i had to trim quite a bit of material off the lips on the lower portion. The retainer that bolts on the pinch rail was smaller in diameter than the bushing. I had to trim half the lip off to get it to fit right.
              I have the race ones as well and had no problem installing them,
              Also not much interior noise
              Gunni
              @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

cheaper option is to fill stock bushings with urethane. btdt on a few of my cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbaggins
                  cheaper option is to fill stock bushings with urethane. btdt on a few of my cars.
                  I know it's a million years since this was posted....
                  What kind of urethane is used to fill the OEM bushings?
                  Where can it be found?

Thanks,
                  Avner.

Comment

The common material is 3m urethane "window weld", its used to install windshields. It comes in a caulk like tube. I bought some at napa, I had to ask for it at the counter.

Comment

i installed these along with urt tabs and i must say they feel great, the rear end feels solid and as far as im concerned the ride quality is great
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by DaN View Post
                        The common material is 3m urethane "window weld", its used to install windshields. It comes in a caulk like tube. I bought some at napa, I had to ask for it at the counter.
                        NO, that stuff is too soft.

You need the 2 part urethane kit from somewhere like McMaster-Carr or Grainger.

Something like #8644K18 or #8644K11 at www.mcmaster.com works well. The 1 lb kit at ~$30 is enough to do a couple of subframe bushings with some left over for others.....

Bret.

Comment

sf bushes

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
                          Ditto except I got no vibrations.

I agree....I dont feel much vibes, but car is stiff w/ HR race....

gotta say my rear is very planted on track.......good stuff.
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                          X