Zionsville AutoSport Z3 Rack Conversion Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zionsville AutoSport Z3 Rack Conversion Kit

I've seen people refer to this many times in thread discussions about retrofitting steering racks, so I thought I'd write a review for you guys to see.

I'm sure most of you saw my car after I ran over a basketball sized rock. In addition to my broken oil pump and pan, some front end components were damaged, including my steering rack. I wanted to make improvements to my steering system, rather than keep things stock. I looked at Zionsville's steering rack retrofit kit as I wanted a quicker ratio but still wanted to keep power steering. I got an insurance settlement check, and since I had a lot of money, I sprung for the kit to make things quick and easy.

Installation is very simple as you are just doing a steering rack replacement. All parts fit right in without issue, and there are no surprises. I kept my tie rods as those were still in good shape. The custom pressure hose fits right up. I aligned my car without issue and have toe set right at specs. The kit comes with an instruction CD. I never looked at it during the install, but it covers the installation very well for those who may need some guidance.

The Verdict: This is a great install to consider if you are going to be replacing your steering rack. I went for the 2.7 ratio and really like it. Steering is a lot tighter and it's great for maneuvering while parking. The addition of the kit has really improved the car's handling and it's a lot of fun to drive. This kit was expensive, I don't think I would have paid this much money had I not had my insurance check, but I'm happy with the end product as this retrofit has made my car better over stock.

Feel free to PM or post up questions, I'd be happy to answer any you may have. See Transaction Feedback in the near future about my dealings with Zionsville Autosport.

Did your car have a Airbag???? Just curious as there site mentions "Non Airbag" car only.
    sigpic
    Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
    00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
    92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
    91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
    91' e34 525iA=For parts
    92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

No airbag here.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffG
        The kit comes with an instruction CD. I never looked at it during the install, but it covers the installation very well for those who may need some guidance.
        The CD comes in handy if you did not buy the entire "kit" from Zionsville. They show exactly how you need to modify your steering linkage for the new rack. They don't show how the high pressure hose needs to be modified though. They mention that it needs to be modified, but don't show how. lucky for me, I had one laying around the shop that I could model mine after.

-Erik

Comment

Can you take some pics of the key components?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
            Can you take some pics of the key components?
            check out their website, they have pictures of all the parts. when you click on them, some of them show a generic install picture of where it fits or how it goes. other than that, it's the exact same thing as what you would do if you were installing a normal e30 rack. the kit is nice because you have all the parts needed, no bending hoses or doing things like that. install parts, align, drive. simple as that.

Comment

Finished installing the kit last night, and I'm really happy with it.

I see Zionsville is doing a core charge for the steering link($100).
              -Frank
              1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
              1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
              2001 525i

Comment

Originally posted by E30_pilot
                Finished installing the kit last night, and I'm really happy with it.

I see Zionsville is doing a core charge for the steering link($100).
                Is there any way you could take a pic of the HP line from them compared to the stock e30??
                sigpic

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
                91' e34 525iA=For parts
                92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

Originally posted by wastedincome
                  Is there any way you could take a pic of the HP line from them compared to the stock e30??
                  sorry man, it's a tight spot to take a pic of it installed(I could try tho) and I dont want to pull it out just for a pic.To lazy haha. But the Hp hose was bent in a really odd way,I can't even explain it. And a pic would only leave you with more questions. Hope that helps.
                  -Frank
                  2001 525i

Comment

sorry man, it's a tight spot to take a pic of it installed(I could try tho) and I dont want to pull it out just for a pic.To lazy haha. But the Hp hose was bent in a really odd way,I can't even explain it. And a pic would only leave you with more questions. Hope that helps.

OK, no real help there but NP. Any chance you have a invoice w/ the hose part number?

EDIT: never mind I found it ;)
                    sigpic

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
                    91' e34 525iA=For parts
                    92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

Originally posted by wastedincome
                      OK, no real help there but NP. Any chance you have a invoice w/ the hose part number?

EDIT: never mind I found it ;)
                      http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...uct_Code=RCMSH
                      hmm the hose that I got is bent abit different than that one.
                      Maybe the hoses for z3 and e36 racks are different?idk.
                      -Frank
                      2001 525i

Comment

hmm the hose that I got is bent abit different than that one.
                        Maybe the hoses for z3 and e36 racks are different?idk.
                        That doesn't sound good, I'm gonna have to call them up I guess

Edit: I just called/spoke w/ Jeremy, Thats the proper line. I went ahead and Ordered the line & modified rack mounts (they were $15).
                        Now you can buy each piece of the conversion kits 1 by 1.
                        Last edited by wastedincome; 03-02-2006, 01:37 PM.
                        sigpic

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
                        91' e34 525iA=For parts
                        92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

So how much exactly is involved with doing this conversion? Is that HP just one piece of the kit?

Comment

Why wont the kits fit airbag cars?

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                              Why wont the kits fit airbag cars?
                              +1
                              [I

Comment

Working...
                              X