X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Por 15 Starter Kit

As we all know, e30's have a tendency to be rust buckets so I
    decided to order POR-15 to help stop and prevent rust from eating away
    at my e30, rust never sleeps. I ordered the starter kit($22.00 shipped) just to tr it out, came with 8oz of marine clean degreaser, 8oz. of metal ready prep with zinc, a tiny can of POR-15 clear paint and some application brushes/gloves.
    Simple procedure, degrease, rinse, spray on metal ready, let sit for 1/2 hour, rinse, let dry and brush on POR-15 paint. The stuff is user friendly and spreads with ease.
    One little can of clear POR-15 covered:

-Front fender lips
    -2 spots underneath the pass door
    -rear fender lips
    -underneath battery tray
    -entire rear valence
    -areas around registration lamps

The clear dried nice and even to a hard shell, it made my rear valence look like it was just repainted.

I would definitely recommend this to everyone that doesn't want their e30 to disentegrate(sp).

Nice, I have been looking for the right product to buy.

Sold it.

Comment

Forgot to mention that it comes in black, gray and clear. I might order the
      por15 mesh to repair a rust bubble that formed right below my rear tow hook.

Comment

do not forge to top coat the areas that are exposed to sunlight. por15 really works

1991 330is

Comment

Yep, 2nd the U.V. sensitive part... Only takes a few months to dull out. I'm sure its the same with the clear. Heck, I didn't even realize they had clear. I havn't ordered from them for at least 2 or 3 years.

The marine degreaser is good stuff!!! I use it on everything for degreasing. I have the concentrated gallon jug of it and keep a spray bottle handy with the diluted solultion.

I use the cheapest brushes I can find so I can just pitch them when I'm finished. That stuff is killer on the skin, never have had much luck removing it (I think lacquer thinner does the trick if I recall).

Comment

I have been so impressed with por 15 every time I use it. I so highly recommend it. Before the engine and drivetrain goes back in mine, the whole underside and under the carpet on the floorpan will be done with it. it will be industructable.

their gas tank sealer worked very well so far too.

Comment

Originally posted by egk2
              Forgot to mention that it comes in black, gray and clear. I might order the
              por15 mesh to repair a rust bubble that formed right below my rear tow hook.
              I have that, too. Might want to make sure your battery hasn't leaked at all.

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

so is this sprayed on bare metal or sprayed over the paint?

Comment

i prefer pen15

Comment

I agree with nkell09, the marine degreaser is awesome stuff, I use it for cleaning anything that's really grimey, not just when painting. Don't be breathing that shit though.

I've used several of their products, and I've been very pleased. It's pricey, but worth it IMO.

I used the Chassis Coat Black on my front subframe after I reinforced it. Nice stuff, it goes on thick and flows out so as not to leave any brush marks.
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

pictures of the subframe reinforements?

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
                        pictures of the subframe reinforements?
                        as requested:

-Brandon
                        '86 325es S50
                        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

that looks really nice, thanks for posting pics

Comment

Do you have a link on where to get it? So does it just go over the rust to stop it, then you clean up the area after to por15 application, or do you get rid of the rust, then apply the por 15?

Thanks.
                            Originally posted by cabriodster87
                            "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                            Originally posted by Kershaw
                            i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Paint Over Rust = POR. It bonds better to rust than bare steel, even etched steel. What you do is you remove the loose rust, then use their degreaser, then etching solution, then apply the POR-15. Check Ebay, there's a vendor that sells the starter kits on there.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X