Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time does speeding save? Speedr - Android app that shows time saved speeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    I dunno, I'm not a big speeder, I just tend to drive at the flow of traffic - but I usually use google on longer trips, and it seems no matter what I do, google's estimated arrival time/travel time is dead on within minutes, whether I'm consciously speeding or going the speed limit, lol.

I think there could be legal ramifications to using such an app too.
    That's because google, at least in theory, uses known average travel times (which can be equated to speed) to calculate average trip times. If you are an above average speeder you can usually shave a couple of minutes off of an hour trip.

Does this app use that same average data or does it just do distance and known speed limits?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I dunno, I'm not a big speeder, I just tend to drive at the flow of traffic - but I usually use google on longer trips, and it seems no matter what I do, google's estimated arrival time/travel time is dead on within minutes, whether I'm consciously speeding or going the speed limit, lol.

I think there could be legal ramifications to using such an app too.
      The app realizes you are beating it's time right and adjusts because it knows how much ground you have covered?
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        Unless the purpose of the app is to show actual data proving that speeding doesn't really get you there all that much faster, and/or that the risk (of being ticketed, or worse) isn't worth the reward (of an arrival time a few minutes earlier).
        The intent of the app is to be informational. By using it you're most likely to see that speeding in non-freeway scenarios saves hardly any time and isn't worth the risk. On an open freeway though speeding will save time so this app can help you gauge whether the saved time was worth the extra gas.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        That's because google, at least in theory, uses known average travel times (which can be equated to speed) to calculate average trip times. If you are an above average speeder you can usually shave a couple of minutes off of an hour trip.

Does this app use that same average data or does it just do distance and known speed limits?
        Speedr compares your current speed with the posted speed limit of the road. Each moment you're going over the speed limit the 'time saved' number climbs. So if you speed for a few seconds here, then a few seconds there, it'll add up. It doesn't take into account the speed of traffic. If you're stuck in traffic and driving at or below the speed limit the the 'time saved' number won't increase but the 'drive time' number will continue to tick forward. This app measures the difference between

1) The time that it actually takes to get from point a to point b when following the speed limit.

2) The time it actually takes to get from point a to point b when you choose to speed given the opportunity.

Comment

One of my favorite things to do on long trips is to knock off as much time as possible off of the estimated arrival time on my GPS. My record is 17 minutes over a 2-hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            One of my favorite things to do on long trips is to knock off as much time as possible off of the estimated arrival time on my GPS. My record is 17 minutes over a 2-hour drive.
            One time I was going to make a trip that was just over 11 hours, then a brake hard line failed in the truck, so I got a ride to the airport and was at my destination just over 5 hours later.

That's a savings of at least 5 hours, and a cost of just over $600 higher considering the return trip/rental car! Amazing!

So despite what my friends might think of me even I know that speeding is not always the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
              The app realizes you are beating it's time right and adjusts because it knows how much ground you have covered?
              I don't think so. I'm talking about the estimated time from when I punch it in before I leave - not while I'm driving. I don't think google can legally assume you're going to speed.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well, gave the app a spin this morning. I monitored an hour drive to work. Most of it was highway, speed limit of 90 km/h, I was doing 100 km/h. Not a massive saving of time, about 12-13%, which was about 5 minutes. I like some of the ideas for the future.

One that I have... adding a time-distance-velocity calculator. That would be very handy.
                Estoguy
                1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                  Well, gave the app a spin this morning. I monitored an hour drive to work. Most of it was highway, speed limit of 90 km/h, I was doing 100 km/h. Not a massive saving of time, about 12-13%, which was about 5 minutes. I like some of the ideas for the future.

One that I have... adding a time-distance-velocity calculator. That would be very handy.
                  Thanks for trying it out. Can you clarify what you mean by time-distance-velocity calculator? Do you mean a sort of reverse-ETA where you put in your destination & arrival time and the app calculates how fast you need to go?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    One time I was going to make a trip that was just over 11 hours, then a brake hard line failed in the truck, so I got a ride to the airport and was at my destination just over 5 hours later.

That's a savings of at least 5 hours, and a cost of just over $600 higher considering the return trip/rental car! Amazing!

So despite what my friends might think of me even I know that speeding is not always the answer.
                    And compared to a crazy speeding ticket for speeding all the time, it's nearly the same expense!
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by jakehilborn View Post
                      The intent of the app is to be informational. By using it you're most likely to see that speeding in non-freeway scenarios saves hardly any time and isn't worth the risk. On an open freeway though speeding will save time so this app can help you gauge whether the saved time was worth the extra gas.

That is actually completely backwards.

On the freeway just difference in time made up by going from say 80 in a 65 is minimal unless you are in a very, very long trip. VS going 50 in a 30, which point you will make up a LOT of time.

View it as Percentage of speed increase. Not to mention, part of the time lost in surface streets is stop lights. So if I am going 45 in a 35 and make x percentage more lights then those that go the limit and get caught at every light, that's a huge amount of time made up.

I've used Waze and Google both to prove this theory multiple times. And even in my own commute (I live in the city and not suburbia), knowing the routes with say lower posted speed but no stoplights or stop signs makes a huge difference in time. Especially if you can raise the average speed in those sectors..
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        That is actually completely backwards.

On the freeway just difference in time made up by going from say 80 in a 65 is minimal unless you are in a very, very long trip. VS going 50 in a 30, which point you will make up a LOT of time.

View it as Percentage of speed increase. Not to mention, part of the time lost in surface streets is stop lights. So if I am going 45 in a 35 and make x percentage more lights then those that go the limit and get caught at every light, that's a huge amount of time made up.

I've used Waze and Google both to prove this theory multiple times. And even in my own commute (I live in the city and not suburbia), knowing the routes with say lower posted speed but no stoplights or stop signs makes a huge difference in time. Especially if you can raise the average speed in those sectors..
                        The timed lights thing is tough. Many people report that timed lights in their area require them to drive the speed limit to get all greens. Others report that they need to speed somewhat to get all greens. If you can find a stretch of road to speed on and get all green lights then yes, that percentage increase will be larger than on a freeway.

Comment

Thanks for trying it out. Can you clarify what you mean by time-distance-velocity calculator? Do you mean a sort of reverse-ETA where you put in your destination & arrival time and the app calculates how fast you need to go?
                          Yes, give the ability punch in your numbers, and come up with what you need, whether it be time or speed over a given distance.
                          Estoguy
                          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                            Yes, give the ability punch in your numbers, and come up with what you need, whether it be time or speed over a given distance.
                            I like the idea! I'll add it to the feature list and will hopefully implement it sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                              In for the app that tells me how much time I'd save running red lights...

t
                              this

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

And to think, I've been doing this in my head for all of these years

What needs to be considered when taking a long trip is whether time saved outweighs the cost of extra gas burned. The difference between 70 to 80 mph is an ~8% drop in fuel economy for me, with my wide high performance tires, 4.10 rear and horrible aero speed makes a bigger difference in fuel economy vs a stock E30. Not that I worry, if I was pressed to afford gas I'd just commute solely on my motorcycle again.

The timed lights thing is tough. Many people report that timed lights in their area require them to drive the speed limit to get all greens. Others report that they need to speed somewhat to get all greens. If you can find a stretch of road to speed on and get all green lights then yes, that percentage increase will be larger than on a freeway.
                                Timed lights... it depends on what point in their cycle you pull onto the road. No way to beat them unless you know the precise timing and leave your house at the correct time every time.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X