Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean/say about us who drive E30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drift life,

Bro.
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
      Driving an e30 at this age suggests you have finer tastes and appreciate the simple things in life.
      It also suggests you have money that you could afford a newer BMW however you choose the design, style and function of the e30 over later versions.

Driving an e30 says "eh! I dont' care about that new fangled garbage, I do my own thing for my own reasons!"

The truth.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

never from girls though, always from guys. If I was gay, this thing would be a sex machine.
        this disturbs me.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          this disturbs me.

t
          the first comment that a ex gf made about my old eta was "ew". felt bad.
          My Feedback

Comment

That's why she's an ex right?

Maybe it also says "I'm comfortable with my sexuality" to shrug off all the attention from dudes. ;)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm not really an e30 enthusiast, i'm more of an old car enthusiast. I just like fixing up old cars and giving them a new lease on life, and my current old car project is an E30. Most people i come across very quickly understand that i do it as a hobby as my "escape time". Something fun to do on the weekends and to take my mind off work.

People are usually quite surprised that i work as an engineer and choose to drive a 32year old car that's really not worth much. Could I afford something newer, faster and shinier? sure. But those cars are boring:)

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                the first comment that a ex gf made about my old eta was "ew". felt bad.
                I think that's the general thing with chicks and old, boxy cars. They're not curvy and modern enough with all the fancy features. "No touch screen? Where's the cupholders?" They do like convertibles for some reason, though.

Well...mostly the older ones. But I don't mind. ;D
                "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Not true on all girls. My current GF digs the E30 and the couple exes I had before did as well.
                  Estoguy
                  1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

My wife puts up with it. I just make sure she has the newer, shiny car every few years and she lets me drive whatever my heart desires..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

My ex never liked my bmw.. but one time I asked her what she thought of an e36 convertible and she said it was a pansy version of my car. So at least there's that?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        My wife puts up with it. I just make sure she has the newer, shiny car every few years and she lets me drive whatever my heart desires..

Basically my deal too, though lately I've been plotting what badass SUV I want her to have lol X5 diesel??hmmm
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                          I think that because of relative rarity of seeing E30s anymore (especially here in Ontario), it certainly attracts curiosity and some amazement at seeing a 31 year old car still on the road and being used daily.
                          Agreed. Spotting another E30 on the road in Ontario is a rare event, sadly.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          I never really get anything but complements when i take mine out - never from girls though, always from guys. If I was gay, this thing would be a sex machine.
                          Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Maybe it also says "I'm comfortable with my sexuality" to shrug off all the attention from dudes. ;)
                          Hahaha... I always thought it was hilarious that guys think women will be impressed by all the work they've put into their cars, when in reality it only attracts the attention and admiration of other dudes. When I was selling my previous E30, I advertised being "a total guy magnet" as one of its key features, and sure enough, 100% of the interest in it was from men (most of which could not get permission from their wife to buy it). :giggle:

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                          I think that's the general thing with chicks and old, boxy cars. They're not curvy and modern enough with all the fancy features. "No touch screen? Where's the cupholders?"
                          You can always add cup holders. Problem solved. :up: I can't stand all of the touch screens and annoying features on newer cars and think most modern cars look shapeless and bloated compared to the near perfection of how E30s were designed, but I'm probably in the minority of women (and people in general) who think so.

In my experience, most people don't understand why it would be worth the effort to drive an "old" car. A few of the owners of newer BMW owners I've met have told me they thought my car was cool, but they could never personally daily drive a car without all of the modern conveniences. They assume you must be a mechanical wizard to work on your own car instead of relying exclusively on the dealership to take care of it for you. Driving a car with a manual transmission and crank windows would be way too much work. At a car meet, I heard someone saying to his friends, while looking at the interior of the E30 touring I used to own, "Can you believe it? This is what we used to have to live with!" I know, what a hardship...
                          1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                          Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post

In my experience, most people don't understand why it would be worth the effort to drive an "old" car. A few of the owners of newer BMW owners I've met have told me they thought my car was cool, but they could never personally daily drive a car without all of the modern conveniences. They assume you must be a mechanical wizard to work on your own car instead of relying exclusively on the dealership to take care of it for you. Driving a car with a manual transmission and crank windows would be way too much work. At a car meet, I heard someone saying to his friends, while looking at the interior of the E30 touring I used to own, "Can you believe it? This is what we used to have to live with!" I know, what a hardship...

With the way modern car design trends are heading, it's honestly not surprising seeing that's the mentality of the general public. A car is seen as an appliance, rather than an aspect of freedom and enjoyment. Everything has to have all these extra safety precautions. Thick pillars that make blind spots more blind so I can't head check. Driver's assists and handicaps for those who can't keep their damn eyes on the road like lane departure warnings and that "automatic panic braking" thing that I've seen going around. I swear if I see that Toyota ad one more time on YouTube...

Also, electric parking brakes shouldn't be a thing. There's nothing wrong with an old cable operated handbrake. I'd trust that before I'd trust a switch! :hitler:

Hell, I couldn't see myself getting a more modern car for a while. Mainly because I can't afford it, but with something like an E30 or an old Civic...shit just works, and if something doesn't, there's a colossal knowledgebase for troubleshooting and forums like r3v (and at one point, e30tech) for all sorts of information. Most things are relatively simple fixes, it's just a matter of getting off your ass to fix them.

I like simple things. A five speed, a decent stereo, some cozy seats and enough power to have fun within the bounds of the law, but still enough to potentially get me in trouble.
                            "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                            The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                              Driving a car with a manual transmission and crank windows would be way too much work. At a car meet, I heard someone saying to his friends, while looking at the interior of the E30 touring I used to own, "Can you believe it? This is what we used to have to live with!" I know, what a hardship...
                              My daily is an 86 Jetta GL. It has very few options, which means it has crank windows, and I gotta be honest, I'm done with 'em. The next car will have power windows. One touch windows are a plus. Being able to roll up/down all four windows at once is really nice, as is not having to contort my body in various ways that it isn't meant to go just to reach the rear window cranks. Not even going to try to do it moving.

I've toyed with the idea of a modern car for a DD, but I think more likely it's going to be an '88-89 325i sedan, if I can find a decent one. And it's going to have power windows.

Comment

maybe we dont like change or "progress" so we hang onto the past. i'm always a bit behind the times with fancy new tech computers/software/phones/tablets etc

unfortunately i have an emotional attachment to mine to.
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X