91 325 LS2 swap project. Looking for alternative to JTR radiator-now NLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 325 LS2 swap project. Looking for alternative to JTR radiator-now NLA

Greetings form Vancouver WA. I have been looking to do a swap project for a while. I got started on my E30-LS2 a few weeks ago.
    Old M20 is out and bay is tidy. My car is an auto brilliantrot, my GVS kit is looking fine in it's shiny red powder coat finish.
    The dead Goat is (reportedly) low miles and I'm searching up parts. I hit a snag when looking for a radiator as JTR doesn't sell the one on it's website anymore.
    I'm looking for a replacement plastic / aluminum base Camaro rad with a single 1.25" core.

V8 Swaps that work. Conversion Manuals and parts for V8 S10, Datzun Z V8, Datsun ZX, Jaguar V8, Astro Van V8, Chevy TPI & TBI, Chevy Colorado, Volvo 200 & 700.

Any place you can think of ? Ive been looking for a few days.
    Last edited by TR8; 03-12-2015, 04:14 PM.

LS cooling comes out both passenger's side FYI. Or I guess you were posting up that rad for size?

I have a mishi dual pass race radiator.

Comment

Anything decent on Summit or Speedway?

Griffen could make you a custom one...

You can't post a thread title like that without pictures!!!!
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I'm following the GVS instructions.

The radiator used as a top left inlet bottom right outlet. I need to find a radiator that will mount with the GVS mounts.I'm going to try to follow Garrett 's instructions as best as I can because my goal is to get this done before the end of summer, with a/c !

Btw, pictures are sure to follow. my parts are slowly trickling in and my money is quickly trickling out. Surely my first picture will be an empty glove box that used to have my money in it.

Comment

Try this one:

It will work with our radiator brackets as long as the maximum thickness of the flange on the end cap header tanks is not more than 2.6"

You need a relatively thin (2.6" or less) radiator so that there is room for the SPAL puller fan on the back side of the radiator. Also, the outlet at the bottom of the RH header tank does not interfere with the pulley on the A/C compressor on the LS engines.

Post pics if you go this route
          Attached Files
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
          E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply Garret. I will check out that rad since I haven't found much else. Can the radiators' built in cooler be used for anything ?

I have an air bag car and the steering shaft is quite short. Is there room to go to Sanderson 1.75" primaries with the smaller Flaming River U-joints you speced in the manual ?

Marc

Comment

Just a heads up, those u-joints wont work for an airbag car. The column has a different spline count that I dont believe flaming river stocks. Its 36 spline I believe.

Or maybe flaming river does supply them. I honestly have no idea, havent checked. But I dont think anyone has built an airbag steering shaft from flaming river parts.
              Last edited by CLM21; 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I had to swap my column for the non-airbag column, then used 2 e46 steering shaft lowers cut and welded together. Worked out pretty well, although you have to drop the rack or remove the column to get the shaft out. While doing this I removed those crappy strip nuts that BMW uses on the column and welded nuts on the back side of the bracket, so 3 bolts and I can remove my column. I can also adjust my column angle this way.

I went with the 1 1/2" primaries, and the pipe off the drivers side is TIGHT. It actually lightly rubs the heat wrap on the pipe on the steering shaft ujoint, as well as my pipe almost touches the block. I wouldn't recommend going any larger if you want it to fit. Also, do they even make the CC1LS1 in 1.75in? I only see the passenger side header in 1.75 on their website.

Comment

I will check on the spline count and get back to you.

Comment

Its 36 column side im pretty sure. I checked a few months back.

Comment

You could just go with a factory e36 rad or one from mishimoto. I'm running a factory e36, which would be a drop in for your late model, and have no issues keeping the temps down.

Comment

Working...
                      X