LS swap transmission options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS swap transmission options.

Hey guys, Im looking for some help getting then right transmission for my swap. I have an LS engine and have located a 2010 Camaro manual transmission in my price range. Does the shift linkage for this transmission work in the e30? If not, is it easily modified to work?

There is no linkage on the t56, shifter is right on top of the tranny at the back, which lines right up with the hole for the shifter in the e30. As far as I am aware, the camaro uses a tr-6060 which is just an updated t56 by the sounds of it. Why not just get the tranny that is supposed to be matched to the motor?

Edit: the newer vette's also use that tranny so its fine. Its just a newer t56.

Comment

The 2010 Camaro uses the TR6060 (updated version of T56) and has a turret-type shifter on top at the rear edge of the main case... It's similar in concept to BMW shifters, but you'll have to fab the shift console and shift rod.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        The 2010 Camaro uses the TR6060 (updated version of T56) and has a turret-type shifter on top at the rear edge of the main case... It's similar in concept to BMW shifters, but you'll have to fab the shift console and shift rod.
        Well I stand corrected then, just get a t56 and do no modifications since it will line up properly with the swap kit, and was still made for that motor.
        Last edited by Ryan1212; 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

if i'm not mistaken, the tr6060 is what OEMs call the t56 magnum. difference is that for some applications they can use a kinda-sorta shift linkage, but i've seen people use standard shifters on em

i think they're slightly longer than a regular t56, but other than that & the shifter differenceare pretty much the same tranny

IMO for the money you're gonna spend on a new magnum i'd get a used t56 and a gearset from someone like liberty or geforce. not only will it have a significantly better power capacity (roughly double. people break stock t56s fairly frequently on ls1tech) but it will also shift like a dream at high RPMs, which can't be said about a standard t56 or mangum/tr6060. should spend roughly the same amount if you install the gears yourself

Comment

WHAT HE SAID^

Or, unless you absolutely need a 6 speed you could go with a TKO600 5 speed.
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              if i'm not mistaken, the tr6060 is what OEMs call the t56 magnum. difference is that for some applications they can use a kinda-sorta shift linkage, but i've seen people use standard shifters on em

i think they're slightly longer than a regular t56, but other than that & the shifter differenceare pretty much the same tranny

IMO for the money you're gonna spend on a new magnum i'd get a used t56 and a gearset from someone like liberty or geforce. not only will it have a significantly better power capacity (roughly double. people break stock t56s fairly frequently on ls1tech) but it will also shift like a dream at high RPMs, which can't be said about a standard t56 or mangum/tr6060. should spend roughly the same amount if you install the gears yourself

I was looking this up and it seems you have to change the tail housing to swap the shifter to directly on top of the transmission (kit I saw was like $2k). And yes, the tr6060 is just a newer t56. Also, since you are doing a LS7 swap, I wouldn't start to cheap out now on the tranny. Get something good, along with a good clutch so you don't have to pull the motor in a few months to replace everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan1212 View Post
                it seems you have to change the tail housing to swap the shifter to directly on top of the transmission (kit I saw was like $2k)
                ghat damn that's expensive.

and yep, you could go with a TKO style trans, but you have to deal with mounting an external clutch slave, which is convenient for replacement but not-so-much for fitment/tunnel clearance

besides, iron, do you guys actually have used TKOs floating around your way? listings for em are pretty uncommon on the east coast and everyone wants near new prices for em (at least from what i've seen anyway). the ones that are reasonably priced are usually gone before i can even go take a look at em :(

Comment

just do a TR6070. 7 gears ftw 8)
                  sigpic'89 325i
                  M60 swap in progress

Comment

I picked one up when I was planning this swap used for 1400 I think. But I never see them either. I literally bought mine site unseen because I knew it wouldn't last long.
                    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

lol, i was gonna say, what magic land do you live in? hook a brother up :D

really i'd take either or, though a t56 would be cool since the geforce gearsets are cheaper than the TKO versions (as of now, though i suspect it's since the TKO gearsets are newish)

Comment

Im buying a new magnum but have a choice of gear ratios. Assuming
                        I can use any rear end out there, would you guys go for a close ratio set up or long?

GM TUET11009 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .80 .63
                        GM TUET11012 2.97 2.10 1.46 1.00 .74 .50
                        I have a 4.10 diff now.

Comment

i'd go for the mega-overdrive trans. nothing quite like turning sub 1500RPMs doing 70 down the highway

Comment

With my LS1 my car does around 200km/h at 3100rpm with the 0.5:1 6th with a 4.10 diff. Depends on what you want to do with the car. If you run mainly 400 series (I would avoid this with the suspension you will have to run to be able to support that power), go with the .50, since you will also have the power to pull 6th. I doubt I would even swap mine and I'm only running a LM7 next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                              ghat damn that's expensive.

and yep, you could go with a TKO style trans, but you have to deal with mounting an external clutch slave, which is convenient for replacement but not-so-much for fitment/tunnel clearance

besides, iron, do you guys actually have used TKOs floating around your way? listings for em are pretty uncommon on the east coast and everyone wants near new prices for em (at least from what i've seen anyway). the ones that are reasonably priced are usually gone before i can even go take a look at em :(

There are internal slave hydraulic options for TKO transmissions. I'm running a RAM HD hydraulic slave with my TKO, so no tunnel issues.

Used TKOs are indeed difficult to find! I ended up just buying a new one. When I originally purchased mine, it was specifically for dropping weight and getting into better gear ratios for my racecar over the f-body t56. It was also marginally cheaper all said and done (after bell housing purchase) than the magnum.

If I were buying new for my street car instead of stealing from my racecar, I'd likely go with the magnum.
                              Last edited by iflytii; 01-17-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X