Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagerstown, MD inspection recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerstown, MD inspection recommendations?

Recently gave a '95 Nissan Altima to my cousin who recently moved back to Hagerstown...and he went to get the car inspected from a gas station inspection station, and they listed $1200 in repairs (motor mounts, tranny mounts, and new steering rack). I personally went thru this car 3 months ago and replaced a bad power steering pump, in addition to cps, engine knock sensor...and car drives perfect w no CEL no leaks of any kind and passed NYS inspection.

The shop he went to in Hagerstown (I googled and came back w 1 star) I feel is screwing him over...and wanted to send him to get a 2nd opinion. Can anyone in the area recommend an inspection shop that is honest and can reinspect his car? Thanks
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

If he already had an inspection, that's it. It gets sent to the MD State Police or whatever. He has to deal with whatever they say.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

thats crazy. There is no protection against the owner? What if a mechanic misdiagnoses a car, or deliberately does so for the shops benefit.....it seems like the honesty is left in the hands of the person inspecting the car.
      www.instagram.com/snwmble
      #snwmble

Current:
      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I recommend no inspection. Car is over 20 years old. If you went through it and it's OK, throw Historic tags on it and call it done. (In MD, one can get Historics at 20 yrs vs. the usual 25).

Comment

Yeah, just register it historic and be done with it. My e36 is a '95 as well.

I'm sure there is some sort of recourse, but it probably involves going to the MD state police.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

I think they changed something in the law for the "Historic" tags for 1986 and newer vehicles. I'll just copy/paste what I seen.

Maryland Bill to Revise Historic Vehicle Registration Requirements Signed Into Law
            Legislation (H.B. 58 ) that makes minimal changes to Maryland’s historic vehicle requirements was signed into law by Governor Larry Hogan. As introduced, the bill appeared to subject historic vehicles of model year 1986 and later to undergo periodic safety inspections. However, an amended version of the new law specifically excludes historic vehicles from the requirement that they receive an inspection certificate prior to titling and registration. The law does prohibit the use of historic vehicles for employment, transportation to employment or school and for commercial purposes. The bill also subjects historic vehicles of model year 1986 and later to equipment repair orders. These repair orders would be issued for vehicle safety equipment that is in disrepair and would require a subsequent inspection to determine that the repair had been effected.

The new law does not change the age requirement for historic vehicles, does not require that an historic vehicle be insured by a show or antique vehicle insurance policy and does not require that the owner have a “daily driver” vehicle registered in Maryland.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
            X