M10 #3 Rod bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 #3 Rod bearing

so, assembled a nice engine. new bearings new rings, honed the block. ready to race.

plastigauge showed PERFECT oil clearence.

in only 6 laps on a 3/8 dirt oval the engine locked when I came off and went to shift to 1st to go through the pits (we only use second on the track)

Spun #3 rod bearing.
    thought it was bad luck till I disassembled the older engine and everything was useable EXCEPT #3 rod bearing. it was running fine but that one beareing was destroyed. good oil pressure FREQUENT changes. hard high revving life 4-6K all the time, every time.

is there something about the #3 that can be fixed? blocked passage or something? it was two differant cranks, two diferant blocks.

Thanks

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
    Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Yes.

You radius the oil port to #3 at the main. I make a pretty noticable divot with a die grinder
    and a 1/4" carbide cutter into the main bearing surface, then polish the edge of the cut.
    I THINK you make the trench
    on the leading edge of the hole, but it's been long enough that I forget, and the 'template'
    crank I have is buried... somewhere....

I make the trench on the 3 bearings that feed the rods, just for good luck, but #3 is the one that
    feeds 2 mains, right?

How fast are you spinning?

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

here are a couple of linked images

and with the rod, too, which I never did

And looking at images, I also think I was drilling an extra delivery hole in the #3 shell, too.

But it's been a while.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

7K on restarts, once I shift to 2nd, I stay there for the duration of races, 6 laps in heats and 15 laps in features, on a 3/8 clay oval
        usually sitting 4-4500 on the corners, then up too 6500 6700 before the next corner.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Do the crank mods and you should be fine- mine will sit on the 7500 rev limiter all day
          as long as the valve springs are ok...

t

Comment

Does your oil pressure hold a steady 60 psi?

t

Comment

This thread needs more pictures!!

-Jarno

Comment

And I mean pics of the actual M10 crank mod or which ever parts you're talking about.

Comment

It's hard when the engines are all buttoned up, you know...

heh

t

Comment

Working...
                  X