leaking coolant bad, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking coolant bad, HELP!

drove home today in my '95 525iT and noticed a pretty strong coolant smell. Opened the hood and steam was pouring out from what appeared to be the back of the brake booster. Obviously no coolant goes through the brake booster, and there were too many hoses in the way to see where the leak was coming from, but I noticed a steady stream dripping from underneath this:

it did not appear to be leaking from any of the hoses visible from the top. Ideas? I hope this isn't an expensive fix cuz I'm broke!
    "Once more into the fray."
    sigpic

Update: I believe its leaking from the auxiliary water pump, the car also has no heat, and the guage normally runs at halfway, which I think is a bit high.
    Last edited by Afredo; 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

dude change your hoses,and buy new hose clamps.
      Your leak has been waiting to happen for a while,those are nasty.

Comment

Hoses weren't leaking and are in fine condition, some of the clamps are pretty rusty and could use replacing though haha. But the auxiliary water pump is definitely what's leaking, sprays coolant out of the weeping hole. Could this be what's causing me not to have heat in the cabin?
        sigpic

Comment

so I removed the bad auxiliary water pump, can't get one for a couple of days, so I got a double sided connector and connected the two hoses that run thru the pump together to complete the circuit but let me still be able to drive the car. I figured I may not have heat but this should work. car is still now overheating badly, so either this did not work for some reason or there is a blockage somewhere else in the system. if my temporary fix is causing this problem can someone please explain why? and also an explanation of what this auxiliary water pump is for would also be nice.
          sigpic

Comment

did some research, found out that to truly bypass the heater valve and aux pump you need to connect hose 23 (running out of the block) and hose 3 (also running out of the block) together. Did this, car still overheated on the way home. I believe this rules out the heater core and heater valve being blocked, so what else could it be other than the head gasket has gone? i don't see any leaks anywhere.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X