No announcement yet.

91 318is GT car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For how light they have that car, 500/700 probably works really well. For something heavier (2650) you may want to get a bit more in the front and rear if you are running coilovers. For a track only car, I would suggest 650-750 in front and 800-1000 in the rear. The heavier rear spring if you decide to run without the rear sway. Of course, this is all dependent on what you are trying to accomplish and the class rules you run in. Obviously, there are SE30 cars that run quick with their non-coilover suspension..
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post
      How good is the head? This really is key.

As I said, our motor is not out of the ordinary as far as output per cu in for a racing engine.
      2hp per cubic inch is not uncommon.
      Rebello is originally famous for datsun inline 6; my local machine shop owner has known him for 30+ years

I wonder what the street potential of m42 at rebello would be; there was some really hot m42 development in the bay area the last decade.

Is the engine running a wet sump still?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Wet sump yes.
        Yeah, when we were shopping the build around, Dave showed me some other M42's he had done, very impressive.

I'll attach a dyno sheet from ours, its just a random run, made 255 this run, IIRC, best run was 266hp, 198tq.
        I have a lot of the runs on video.
        Attached Files
        Paul

91 318is GT3
        08 328xi wagon

Comment

Wet sump yes.
          Yeah, when we were shopping the build around, Dave showed me some other M42's he had done, very impressive.

I'll attach a dyno sheet from ours, its just a random run, made 255 this run, IIRC, best run was 266hp, 198tq.
          I have a lot of the runs on video.

Killer!! It makes power all the way to 7.5 limit and im guessing a bit beyond; what rpm are the cams set to drop off at?

.... really tempting to have done for a gts2; reverse swap from m3 6 cyl to 4cyl like the Supra mk4 in JGTC

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            Killer!! It makes power all the way to 7.5 limit and im guessing a bit beyond; what rpm are the cams set to drop off at?

.... really tempting to have done for a gts2; reverse swap from m3 6 cyl to 4cyl like the Supra mk4 in JGTC

Not sure how competitive the light car/small motor thing is in NASA GTS. If you can start out front and keep the higher power cars behind initially until you get through a few corners, great, if not, its a hard go.
            The power cars out drag you, then park in the corner, VERY hard to pass, especially if they make it difficult.
            Hot setup in GTS3 I believe is an e36 m3 with an S54, detuned, the TQ characteristics are very good vs a built s52.
            I have no idea if our car was competitive in GTS2 with the old MM motor.

The cams peak around 7400-7500, start dropping after that the way its tuned currently, red shift lights go off at 7600 I think, with rev limit at 7800.
            Paul

91 318is GT3
            08 328xi wagon

Comment

Not sure how competitive the light car/small motor thing is in NASA GTS. If you can start out front and keep the higher power cars behind initially until you get through a few corners, great, if not, its a hard go.
              The power cars out drag you, then park in the corner, VERY hard to pass, especially if they make it difficult.
              Hot setup in GTS3 I believe is an e36 m3 with an S54, detuned, the TQ characteristics are very good vs a built s52.
              I have no idea if our car was competitive in GTS2 with the old MM motor.

The cams peak around 7400-7500, start dropping after that the way its tuned currently, red shift lights go off at 7600 I think, with rev limit at 7800.
              Yes, s54 detuned is hot for gts3; just setup a diff for a local client/friend with that in mind; torque for days and rpm range to 8500. I did a s54 e36 street car in 2009...such a torquy screamer

Local race shop TC design (amazing cages for many others & ours) has gts3 record with detuned s54.

We had the same issue in traffic with our e30 with traffic until a dohc 24v replaced the sohc m20; now the car needs the front end weigt dealt w.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                We had the same issue in traffic with our e30 with traffic until a dohc 24v replaced the sohc m20; now the car needs the front end weigt dealt w.
                We hummed and hawed, and this is exactly why we stuck with the M42, the car drives so awesome with the light motor, we just didn't want to kill that, then start trying to find balance again by changing everything to suit a heavier motor.
                Paul

91 318is GT3
                08 328xi wagon

Comment

I took a few updated pics of the car today, showing some more detail.
                  Will include a vid from our last race as well (2 weeks ago).
                  Attached Files
                  Paul

91 318is GT3
                  08 328xi wagon

Comment

More
                    Attached Files
                    Paul

91 318is GT3
                    08 328xi wagon

Comment

Paul

91 318is GT3
                      08 328xi wagon

Comment

Still having fun with this car, truely great race car, I love the simplicity of the e30 chassis.

We almost won a 3 hour enduro with it last season, but a fuel fitting came loose at the FPR, I had to pit to fix and we lost several laps.
                        Luckily the car did not catch fire!

Tried running the Hankook z214, car was a bit quicker, but did not suit our setup (I did not change it to suit the tire), it had some understeer mid corner, which I hate. I may try them again with a diffeent setup.
                        Usually we run the Nitto NT-01, which I really like, lots of slip angle and the car is super lively.
                        Paul

91 318is GT3
                        08 328xi wagon

Comment

Awesome car - thanks for the update.

Comment

Glad to hear the car is still going strong! I'm sure we'd all love to see some recent pictures and/or video, if you have any.
                            diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Couple from 2014, from my local track in Nova Scotia, racing against my usual co-driver in another car I sometimes drive, its a super late model converted to a road race car. It has about double the power I have, 500+, but its 600 or so pounds heavier.
                              We are just messing around in the vid, he let me lead off the start then he tried to get back by.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

view from his car:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

and split screen:

Paul

91 318is GT3
                              08 328xi wagon

Comment

Sweet. Your car looks well-balanced!

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X