Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNAFU; high performance 318is build that lives up to the name, Turbo M42 ➞ Turbo M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey mesh for the centre and some blanking plates and it'll be looking very close to factory. Beaut cooler size though, that's awesome
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Updates!

First, the M42 is finally showing signs of giving up. Every cylinder leaks compression into the cooling system, though no water winds up in the cylinders. Either the head is warped, the MLS head gasket is not sealing to the block correctly or the head is cracked on all cylinders. The gasses that get into the cooling system displace the water into the expansion tank, then the pressure gets too high and it pukes coolant. It has not been overheated since I've had the car. I made this little gadget to keep the system bled, it allows the gasses to escape without losing any coolant.

It works well enough that I was able to make the 200mi+ round trip to spectoberfest without issue.

At spectoberfest, other BMW owners were able to admire my lovable garbage, and I got a ride in this:

This chump car was built by John at WOT-Tech and painted by a swarm of children. The ride was loads of fun until it broke down after 4 laps, as is my luck.

Yesterday, I bought this:

For parts of course. Since the M42 is giving in to age and abuse, it's time to get what I've wanted since I first turbocharged the M42; an M20. It's a slush-o-tragic convertible which means the engine likely hasn't been beat to hell, and it has much lower miles than my M42. I was going to build a stroker M20 but I can't afford that right now, so for now this stock M20B25 is going to get some basic attention, then I will put a nice turbo on it so it can move into its new home in my 318 and start out-doing the M42 right away.

The work on this swap was supposed to start this week, but as I type this a category 4 hurricane is chugging towards my home. Who knows how long this setback will turn out to be.

As much as I knock the M42 for being a flawed and noisy engine, it has earned a place in my heart for putting up with the abuse of making at least twice as much power as it did stock, all of which I used regularly. Since I put the big turbo on I have known two M20s that were bone stock and died a non-timing-belt death, the M42 has served me well and survived despite what I've put it through. Even with the issues it is having now, my car is still driveable and I can still get into full boost for a little fun when I need it.
      Last edited by varg; 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Rip m42

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Good luck riding out the storm, keep us updated on your swap progress
          2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            At spectoberfest, other BMW owners were able to admire my lovable garbage, and I got a ride in this:

This chump car was built by John at WOT-Tech and painted by a swarm of children. The ride was loads of fun until it broke down after 4 laps, as is my luck.
            Sorry about that! Car was loaded on the trailer after the 14hr race and never touched before the event, and the reason I didn't enter the races. Knowing the car was still beat up, didn't want to be causing yellow flags for breakage (plus all my Toyo RR's are toast :/). Come out for the Homstead event in January! I took another spctator for a ride after we fixed the fuel pump, and the exhaust hangers broke, so he only got a couple hot laps too...
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

RIP :'( The m42 is such a rad little engine. What are you doing with the m42 setup? ( exhaust manifold, downpipe, etc)
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

just went through the whole thread. Im very excited for this next M20 phase
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Good bye Emma Fortitoo.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Just read through your adventure.

Very very cool stuff. Your car is making me itch for a sleeper E30 myself. Just something about it that seems fun.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Interested in the turbo kit!!! I can take it off your hands when ever u are ready. I wanna blow my 200k m42. I could drive down to pick it up. Shoot me a pm
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
                      Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        Sorry about that! Car was loaded on the trailer after the 14hr race and never touched before the event, and the reason I didn't enter the races. Knowing the car was still beat up, didn't want to be causing yellow flags for breakage (plus all my Toyo RR's are toast :/). Come out for the Homstead event in January! I took another spctator for a ride after we fixed the fuel pump, and the exhaust hangers broke, so he only got a couple hot laps too...
                        I really enjoyed the ride while it lasted and wondered why your car disappeared from the track when I was out taking pics.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                        RIP :'( The m42 is such a rad little engine. What are you doing with the m42 setup? ( exhaust manifold, downpipe, etc)
                        Most of it, MS, intercooler piping, downpipe, etc will be modified as necessary and reused for my M20 swap. I'll be reusing the turbo too, only with a .63a/r turbine housing instead of the .48a/r I'm using, since the compressor and turbine combo are good for a reasonable amount of power. I also have a larger turbo sitting around. Only the exhaust manifold will remain as is and it's nothing great.

Originally posted by Reub_e30 View Post
                        Interested in the turbo kit!!! I can take it off your hands when ever u are ready. I wanna blow my 200k m42. I could drive down to pick it up. Shoot me a pm
                        Won't be much left aside from the injectors and the manifold, and the MLS head gasket if it's not damaged. I have a couple of other people who have expressed interest in the parts previously. Not sure what will happen with it.
                        Last edited by varg; 10-06-2016, 01:34 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Wait do people really reuse MLS head gaskets?!?! Also I'm willing to be your head isn't cracked, or warped. I would probably say it is that MLS HG you have not sealing right anymore. When I was building my m42 the old timer at the machine shop resurfaced my block to get it really smooth since these head gaskets require a really smooth surface finish to seal correctly. IIRC you had your head machined and made all nice nice but left the bottom end alone?

I don't know everyone seems to have different opinions about MLS head gaskets. It seems strange that it would start to fail after over a year. But I mean you have been cramming 18 psi down that engine basically everyday. So safe to say that engine served you well. But that little coolant bleeder thing is a pretty good idea, way to macgyver along!
                          -Dee
                          5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                          IG: @deebelmont

Comment

It was one of my first concerns, but I've discussed it with a couple of people who are knowledgeable about these things and none of us think it's likely that it's the issue since it leaks on all cylinders and didn't do it from day one of running big boost. I think the head is warped or cracked, I never overheated it but it did get too hot for my comfort a couple of times when I had my previous E-fan and intercooler setup. It may be possible that one of those few peaks of 220°f warped it, though I've never heard of such a thing, that's not even close to hot enough to boil with a 140kpa cap, that's 35psia and water doesn't boil until over 250°f at that pressure! The only time it ever boiled over and puked before I started having this problem was when I had a failed cap, and then it was puking at just over 215°f.

Yeah, people reuse MLS head gaskets all of the time but I don't think mine will be worth reusing. I'll probably just clean it and hang it on the wall.

I am beginning to lose water at an increasing rate with this bleeder setup. Not sure if it's evaporation, I don't have any oil cap or dipstick milk but I am seeing faint clouds of blowby out of my side-discharge crankcase vent hose, some of that is steam.
                            Last edited by varg; 10-08-2016, 03:19 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Seems weird for the head to warp, at least to me. I've Gotten my engine pretty hot as well coming off a couple hot laps over the summer. My gauge was reading about 245*f but I have a cheap ebay one that seems to read about 20-30*f hotter than my laptop so I think it was only at like 210 MAYBE 220 tops. Mine is still fine thankfully, but you are making 10psi more boost than I am so I'm sure all the extra stress on the engine isn't helping.

I personally wouldn't re use a MLS head gasket, but they do make good garage ornaments. I hung mine in my shed when I took my M42 apart. Sucks you're loosing water though, it is probably just leaking enough water to evaporate it in the combustion chamber and not make a milkshake. HURRY UP AND GET THAT M20 IN THE CAR!
                              -Dee
                              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

The M20 is out and waiting to be cleaned up, re-sealed and put in its new home.

I'm trying to document this a little better than I have the rest of my project. Too many crappy phone pics, I just don't usually have a real camera out when I'm working on the car.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X