M10 dies wont start till after about 20 mins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 dies wont start till after about 20 mins

Okay where to start. I have owned the car for about 3 1/2 yrs. I bought the car with a studier normal m10. I have been doing work to it slowly over time, but about a month ago the car just died on me coming home from work. I was not able to get it started right then and there. By the time I returned with my truck and trailer the car started right up and was able to drive it right up onto the trailer. The next day I went to start it and it would stay running for about 8 seconds and die. The car had me puzzled. I went ahead and ordered some of the key parts that I could think would be the problem.

The parts I ordered
    temp sensor
    ICM
    AFM
    Distributor

So first I installed the temp sensor, with no luck, Still starts and stayed running for about 8 sec. Then installed the ICM no change. I then installed the AFM and it started and ran but it was running like crap. The distributor was next re-timed everything and the car has never ran better.

So on my way home from work yesterday it was cruising down I5 with no problem, but after driving thru Salem I hit 22 and I started feeling it studier and then just died. I was seating there for about 20 minutes waiting for a ride to show up and decide to see if it would start. It started right up, I made it about another 10 miles and it died on me again. I called my ride to give them an update by the time they got there I was able to start it again and they followed me the rest of the way to my place.

Sorry for being so long winded but I am running out ideas of what it could be. I have searched the Bentley and the web for more ideas but am coming up short. At this point any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh the fuel system has been fully checked as well I have a fuel pressure gauge even when it dies I still have 44psi on the gauge.

Well shit, I had it diagnosed for you right up to that last line.

When it dies, unhook the primary coil wire, hook it to a spare spark plug and check for spark.
    If no spark, then either the ignition module, its wiring, or something random like the
    ignition switch. A meter will help a lot here.

hth,
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If it is running for 8 seconds, it might just be running on the fuel from the cold start injector. Did you change out the correct temp sensor? There are two and also the cold start switch - total of three sensors.

Comment

Working...
      X