No announcement yet.

Salt City Euros - E30 Touring, S50 engine swap is in and running! Posted 6/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt City Euros - E30 Touring, S50 engine swap is in and running! Posted 6/20

Hello R3v! I wanted to share with you a project that I started working on last week, a 1989 Touring, which I imported from Germany.

We started a Youtube Channel called "Salt City Euros" and we will be featuring many cool projects in the future. This touring is our very first attempt at presenting in front of a camera, as well as doing anything like this. My friend Max Daines is a very talented Videographer and he made our terrible attempts at explaining what this thing is, look pretty good.

E30 Touring EP1 - Intro

E30 Touring EP2 - Suspension & Wheels

E30 Touring EP3 - An aesthetic disaster

E30 Touring EP4 - Where do we go from here?

E30 Touring EP6 - S50B30 Engine swap prep pt1

E30 Touring EP7 - S50B30 Engine Swap pt2

As we post episodes, I will update this first post so all the episodes are in one easy to find post.

Feedback is welcomed, both positive and negative, as long as it is constructive and helps us reach our target audience as well as become better at this whole automotive show thing.
    Last edited by Styleprojekt; 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM.

Awesome! As a new owner of a pretty similarly equipped touring. I'll follow along. Are you using GoPros for all footage? Also, the 80's looking shots with that music is absolutely perfect.

I know those M40 feels.
    '89 318i Touring
    '90 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Heitzke View Post
      Awesome! As a new owner of a pretty similarly equipped touring. I'll follow along. Are you using GoPros for all footage? Also, the 80's looking shots with that music is absolutely perfect.

I know those M40 feels.
      Awesome, you are the kind of people we want to cater towards :)
      The in-car segment is filmed with a go-pro but everything else is DSLR's, Drones etc...so we have some cool equipment to use for these videos

Comment

Nice! But I would choose a M54 instead of M50 for a lighter front end :)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Awesome! Another Touring owner here looking forward to your build.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by Styleprojekt View Post
            Awesome, you are the kind of people we want to cater towards :)
            The in-car segment is filmed with a go-pro but everything else is DSLR's, Drones etc...so we have some cool equipment to use for these videos
            Went back and actually watched the whole thing, instead of skipping about (bad habits die hard). Those drone shots were legit, nicely done. They helped split up the footage very well.

Bummer about the rusty hatch since it'll be a little harder to source. Dude on here is parting a couple tourings out, looks like he recently got a red one.

Instafollowed, and looking forward to more.
            '89 318i Touring
            '90 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
              Nice! But I would choose a M54 instead of M50 for a lighter front end :)
              We are still up in the air about the motor...definitely a good suggestion and something we will keep in mind. While we are wanting to make the car awesome, the original purpose of the video was to show viewers that you can have a lot of fun even with a old and rusty car, how much it costs, what things to do and what to avoid...so semi education/semi fun.

The grand cost of swaps around our area differ greatly from the rest of the US because Salt Lake City is somewhat isolated...so we dont have a lot of parts available

Originally posted by Heitzke View Post
              Went back and actually watched the whole thing, instead of skipping about (bad habits die hard). Those drone shots were legit, nicely done. They helped split up the footage very well.

Bummer about the rusty hatch since it'll be a little harder to source. Dude on here is parting a couple tourings out, looks like he recently got a red one.

Instafollowed, and looking forward to more.
              Thanks for the love. The hatch indeed is a shame, I never saw the car before I bought it, so I couldnt look for rust. The worst part is I had sourced a Brilliantred hatch which was rust free, and it was damaged and dented by UPS in shipping...sucks.
              Last edited by Styleprojekt; 02-02-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Good news, found another hatch. Should be getting here with the second Touring we are importing. In the meantime, we started filming episode 2 last weekend and should be able to release it this weekend.

Thanks for watching!

Comment

Hey Just wanted to say LOVE this series and your shots were fantastic. Def earned my subscribe. I really liked the 80's style shots of the car they were really cool. How hard was it to import on of these really? I want one so badly now.
                  Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                  1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Can't wait for episode 2!

Comment

You just got another subscriber.
                      First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Great video!
                        Currently:
                        1990 325i Touring LHD
                        2014 X1 28i Xdrive

Comment

Originally posted by Matt341 View Post
                          Hey Just wanted to say LOVE this series and your shots were fantastic. Def earned my subscribe. I really liked the 80's style shots of the car they were really cool. How hard was it to import on of these really? I want one so badly now.
                          Thank you! We thought the 80s theme gave the video a bit of a different feel for that segment, glad you liked it.

The whole import process is not complicated so to say, it is just time consuming and depending on where the car comes from and where its going can range between 2-3k in cost and anywhere between 1-2 months (sometimes more). The biggest challenge is finding people who would work with you...for example a potential seller doesn't have much incentive to hold a car for you for weeks until papers are worked out, shipping company organized, have it inspected by a third party company, take it to various places or have it picked up etc. Plus people sometimes can be weirded out that a foreigner has such great interest in what to them is an old piece of junk....so they may think its a scam or so.

Originally posted by Slowgan View Post
                          Can't wait for episode 2!
                          Awesome! Episode 2 is getting delayed because it snows almost every weekend here in Salt Lake City right now :( so while we had a LOT planned for EP 2, we may have to cut it short and put more into EP 3 for the sake of being able to release stuff in a timely manner.

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                          You just got another subscriber.
                          Thank you! We have been super stoked to see people subscribe after just one episode... makes it more of a challenge to up the quality and content with every EP that we release

Originally posted by KSanchez View Post
                          Great video!
                          Thank you very much! I love your Touring...its beautiful

Comment

It's really awesome to see how others modify the same car, our's has all the power options though.
                            Currently:
                            1990 325i Touring LHD
                            2014 X1 28i Xdrive

Comment

Wow!

Great Video! Its amazing to see a youtube channel like yours create videos of such high quality on the first video!

Comment

Working...
                              X