Rotrex Supercharger Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Insanity
    Roots superchargers are actually the best for the low end, twin screws are a very good compromise of high and low, and centrifugal supercharges are just a belt-driven turbo.
    I wouldn't say at all a S/C are just a belt-driven turbos....sure the principle is the same except belt driven...but again, power band it's another story int he turbo side :pimp:
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6
      I wouldn't say at all a S/C are just a belt-driven turbos....sure the principle is the same except belt driven...but again, power band it's another story int he turbo side :pimp:
      Er... you misunderstood what I was saying. Roots and twin screw superchargers are very different from turbochargers. About the only similarity is that they are both spinny things that force air into the engine.

However, a centrifugal supercharger is literally a turbo with a belt that drives it instead of the exhaust turbine:

Comment

Er... you misunderstood what I was saying. Roots and twin screw superchargers are very different from turbochargers. About the only similarity is that they are both spinny things that force air into the engine.

However, a centrifugal supercharger is literally a turbo with a belt that drives it instead of the exhaust turbine:

Lol, I know what is a Root S/C (Eaton, etc) and Centrifugal S/C , (Vrotech Powerdyne, Procharger, pAxton, etc....) what I was refering was the centrifugal S/C, that actually looks like a turbo but is just belt drived but there is no way it can be compared to a turbo in the powerband curve. I didn't missundertand what you say.

I have a Roots S/C ans centrifugal S/C and Turbo in my hand...I know actually what they are ;) Also I have installed a Twins Screw.

Here is a shot of my Jeep witht he centrifugal Powerdyne S/C..... I would turbo my Jeep enevtually. S/C are made for ladies.....(I guess I?m a lady hte Jeep side by now) and Turbo for serious entushiast of the power.

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Superchargers aren't for "ladies", they're for people who understand that maximum power is only important in drag racing.

Comment

I think it would be safe to say a centrifugal S/C is a turbo on a shaft, since they share the same centrifugal compressor turbine/housing/design. While a turbo produces more power from sapping energy off of the exhaust as opposed to the engine, both compressor designs generate pressure in a non-linear rate.

And as for S/Cs being for ladies *shrug*
            San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Desing, hmm I wouldn't say that at all...see the size of the compressor wheel in the S/C and compare it to a mid size turbo wich you will notice is smaller, yet will make more power and torque... S/C is for ladies IMO. I own both systems and I know what I say.

c ya!:D

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6
                Desing, hmm I wouldn't say that at all...see the size of the compressor wheel in the S/C and compare it to a mid size turbo wich you will notice is smaller, yet will make more power and torque... S/C is for ladies IMO. I own both systems and I know what I say.

c ya!:D
                A centrifugal supercharger and a turbo pushing the same CFM will make the same power. The parasitic losses of the supercharger are easily made up by the non-restricted exhaust.

Also, you may "know what you say", but you certainly don't know what you're talking about. Superchargers are infinitely superior to turbos for track racing.

Comment

im going to put both a turbo and a supercharger on an engine somehow then watch everything break when i turn it on...
                  That will show you basterds. haah

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr2004
                    im going to put both a turbo and a supercharger on an engine somehow then watch everything break when i turn it on...
                    That will show you basterds. haah
                    It's been done.

Comment

haha really? any pics or vids?

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

turbo supercharger were used widely in the aviation industry. now days, i'm not so sure but if you do a search on turbo superchargers, you'll find enough information to fulfill your wishes.

Comment

I saw a R33 skyline with a roots supercharger remotely mounted, in addition to twin turbos. No idea how it performs, though.

Comment

I saw a R33 skyline with a roots supercharger remotely mounted, in addition to twin turbos. No idea how it performs, though.
                            I have seen a picture os a R33 with a roost blower mounted below the blow/nexto to the block and two turbos mounted...I guess the blower was just for low end torque or response...twins will do the job in the high rpms when they are demanding maximum power for serious speed it's my guess!

I have seen also a Subi Impreza with two turbos and one roots s/c mounted next ot them.

Comment

for those who say a supercharger is vastly supirior in road racing i dont think that is completely accurate. a properly sized turbo on a road race car will do just fine, make plenty of power and not have horrible amounts of lag.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmers4life
                                for those who say a supercharger is vastly supirior in road racing i dont think that is completely accurate. a properly sized turbo on a road race car will do just fine, make plenty of power and not have horrible amounts of lag.
                                Yeah, but the properly sized road-racing turbo won't make any more power than a supercharger, so the supercharger is still a bit better as the lag is still slightly better. I'd say it comes down to cost and availability at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X