input on a discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

input on a discussion

me and a friend were discussing what would be the best motor to build for a supercharged/intercooled setup? hes sayin s50 with s52 crank and s50 top end. i think a built m52 block with headwork might work better and be cheaper. price is kind of a option but not really. end result needs to push close or over 500hp and be using FI. or is it possible to get that kind of number without FI. oh and turbo isnt a option.

m20b27 block with m20b25 head is the apsolute cheapest, easiest, and moderately powered start available!!!
    not to mention, plenty of room in the bay, nice drop in compression, parts on the cheap in every junk yard in america, plenty of torque for a blown setup, etc, etc...
    if youre gonna go dohc, do it because of the safer high rev and fact alone its a great NA engine. not because you want to waste your money and show the dohc guys one up.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
      oh and turbo isnt a option.
      You're not going to make 500hp with a supercharger.

or is it possible to get that kind of number without FI.
      Sure... sell your e30 and buy a camaro.

me and a friend were discussing what would be the best motor to build for a supercharged/intercooled setup? hes sayin s50 with s52 crank and s50 top end.
      DOHC is always better. I don't think I've ever seen a 500hp M20 turbo, and I promise you there is not a 500hp M20 supercharged.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
        You can easily make 500 hp with a supercharger, its just going to cost more money. My friend built an S54 with I think just over 600hp, granted it was a fully built and blueprinted motor and bored to 3.4, but still its possible. See next months eurotuner, its the red e46.
        Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

DOHC is always better. I don't think I've ever seen a 500hp M20 turbo,
          you need to get out more often.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You sure ... ?

Active's stage 2 C38 kit ends with a result of 456 bhp and thats with stock internals etc. running 10.5 psi.

And I think he specifically stated, Supercharger, and that Turbo wasnt an option? Maybe I'm blind. lol
            sigpic

Comment

get a nice twin screw on that bad boy and you can make 500
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                You sure ... ?

Active's stage 2 C38 kit ends with a result of 456 bhp and thats with stock internals etc. running 10.5 psi.

And I think he specifically stated, Supercharger, and that Turbo wasnt an option? Maybe I'm blind. lol
                He said that. Then I said he's not going to make 500hp with a supercharger. I mean, it's obviously possible. Anything is possible, given the right resources. But I don't see it happening.

Regarding the C38: 456bhp my balls. That's probably 350 at the wheels. AA is always very optimistic.

Keep in mind, TRM built and tuned two of, if not the two highest HP twinscrews in the US... I am not anti-supercharger. They just aren't the best option for big power. (400+ wheel hp)

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                  get a nice twin screw on that bad boy and you can make 500
                  500 crank.

Comment

m20 is not a option. sorry, this is going to be a huge project car and old school technology isnt going to work. were looking at a 24valve for sure. the bigger question is what mix/match of block, head, crank, pistons etc.

Comment

Money can get you what you want...
                      The last PTG M3 3.2 AMLS car put out about 440hp with intake restrictors. Cost - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Supercharged - you could do it but you would need an experienced engine builder and lots of dyno time to tune it.

Cheapest solution is the LS whatever 7.0 litre. 505 hp for $13,000 plus a ton of fab work and other parts.

What the hell do you want 500 hp for Jeff??

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                        What the hell do you want 500 hp for Jeff??
                        Dude...he is pretty big

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

m20 is not a option. sorry, this is going to be a huge project car and old school technology isnt going to work. were looking at a 24valve for sure. the bigger question is what mix/match of block, head, crank, pistons etc.
                          Not to be a dick but building a 'huge project car' requires 3 things: experience, knowledge, and money.

From the very basic, general questions you have asked, and statements you have made such as "or is it possible to get that kind of number without FI. oh and turbo isnt a option" and "price is kind of a option" it appears that you don't have any of the 3. I have worked at shops and been actively involved in "huge project car" builds, and know what it takes to do the job correctly.

I'm no BMW guru, but I would either build an LSx engine with L92 heads and a Lysholm supercharger, or if you want to stay with a BMW powerplant, build and turbocharge a S50B32.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiSam View Post
                            Not to be a dick but building a 'huge project car' requires 3 things: experience, knowledge, and money.

From the very basic, general questions you have asked, and statements you have made such as "or is it possible to get that kind of number without FI. oh and turbo isnt a option" and "price is kind of a option" it appears that you don't have any of the 3. I have worked at shops and been actively involved in "huge project car" builds, and know what it takes to do the job correctly.

I'm no BMW guru, but I would either build an LSx engine with L92 heads and a Lysholm supercharger, or if you want to stay with a BMW powerplant, build and turbocharge a S50B32.
                            and you dont know who i am either. i have plenty of knowledge to do whatever it is i choose. a small block swap is to common and not staying with a bmw plant. i worded my question very plain to get the maximum number of DESCRIPTIVE answers. "build and turbocharge a s50" is not the answer im looking for. "if it were me id use a m50 block bored out to 3.1, forged m52 crank, low compression pistons, m50 head with shrick cams, while using a c38 AA kit" is more of the type answers im looking for.

you call me out and then end your post with "im no BMW guru".....interesting.

Comment

The s50 head is significantly better than the M50 head. Much larger ports, etc.

I will also go along with Matt's assesment of AA. I helped build a C38 stg 1 car, and it was sad. LSx swaps are hardly common. 24v swaps are.

Would you mind telling us why you can't turbo?
                              '89 325i track sloot
                              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Working...
                              X