Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sensor is this and how do i get it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sensor is this and how do i get it off?

A follow-on to an email earlier in the week about some cooked wires on my 1990 ix... one of my cooked wires goes under the exhaust and connects to this sensor.

What sensor is this? and more importantly, how do I get the sensor out or get the wire off the sensor? I would like to get it out so that I can strip out the cooked wires and rerun new.

As you can see, with the ix front subframe, there is not a lot of space in there.

That's your oil pressure switch for your oil pressure light. There's a wire locking thingamajig that you have to remove from the connector to be able to pull it off the sensor.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Use a pick.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

So I am picking the backside of the little wire end that you can see in the picture? So I would be picking somewhere around 8:00 as the sensor is orientated?

I could see that it was held in there by the wire, but wasn't sure if it was a push or pull on it. The ones I can think of are all push in to release. I can assume by these comments that this one is a pull?

Comment

It pries off from one skinny side of the connector to the other. Remove it entirely. But don't lose it, they fly far.
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That's the 'awkward' oil pressure plug I mentioned in your earlier thread. It's much more fun getting it back in there, a pair of these are recommended:

Amazing deals on this 11In Long Reach 45° Offset Needle Nose Pliers at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

As for the oil level sensor wiring you asked about. The brown female plug has a protruding keyway to prevent you plugging it in backwards, the plug has numbering on the rear connecting body, you'll need to pull the cover back to see the numbering.

Viewing the plug from the rear with the keyway upwards, the color codes are:

Left (Pin 1) Blue/Yellow - Dynamic switch
            Center (Pin 2) Brown/Orange - Ground
            Right (Pin 3) Blue/White - Static switch

The ground wire is spliced (S701) into ground distribution and G103, the other 2 wires go to C101. You'll be able to work this out from the circuit schematic reference I sent you earlier.

Note, the wires change color on the oil level sensor male plug side:

Blue/Yellow ->Blue/White
            Brown/Orange->Brown/Orange (I guess they must have had plenty of that in stock)
            Blue/White->Blue/Violet

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. Given that all the colors were washed out anyway, I was able to get it all together with some trial and error.

Yesterday I knocked out wiring for oil level, oil pressure, and coolant level... not a bad morning's work.

Comment

Working...
              X