Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be surprised if it was.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sean S. View Post
      You're not that far from me. What say we meet up some afternoon? I'd love to see your car. Lunch and beer on me, of course.

Sean
      Hey Sean I'm here in Brentwood and would be great to get together and swap notes on the e30 bar process too.

Hit me up anytime I just PMd u

Conrad

Comment

Ca 24v e30 bar legal swap

Car in question 1989 325i

Donor car 1995 M3

Obd1 swap using all parts from donor.

Ref station Las positas college in Livermore ca

We started this swap a few months ago and we are very close to getting her complete, I would like to get in touch with local east bay e30 guys that are embarking on the same swap and want to share experiences and info so there is a wealth of information to make this swap easier for the next guy.

I have personally called BAR and have talked with the ref guy at above college and seems really helpful and not at all draconian like others have had experience with.

Our swap is pretty straight forward no surprises as we personally drove car before swapping into e30, it was recently smogged so we know the exhaust is fine, engine has about 134k miles on it and transmission shifted good, no mil lights on no misfires no hesitation so it's a matter of plugging everything into said car and bring to ref station, I want to start the talks of our personal e30 swap and will update with results and experiences when we bar this e30

Any east bay e30 bmw guys that want to reach out are welcomed

Conrad
        Brentwood,ca

Comment

Hey Conrad, having the complete car prior to the swap is huge. I have a feeling you'll be fine. Dont modify the midpipe, or the exhaust at all before the cat. I had to notch my subframe and it hangs a little low, but it gives the referee one less thing to harass you about. Make sure all the emissions equipment is there and present with no CEL and I think you'll be fine. Good luck

-Simon
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm working on a swap right now as well. Does anyone have any more details on how you ran the check engine light for a 86? I've searched and found some conflicting info on it. Do you add it to the cluster? Is the BAR ok with non factory wiring taking it there? Pictures? Thanks in advance! BTW I'm in the bay area as well, would love to see someone else swap.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowB0und View Post
              I'm working on a swap right now as well. Does anyone have any more details on how you ran the check engine light for a 86? I've searched and found some conflicting info on it. Do you add it to the cluster? Is the BAR ok with non factory wiring taking it there? Pictures? Thanks in advance! BTW I'm in the bay area as well, would love to see someone else swap.

I had the same situation as you with my CEL on my 84. Have you removed the cluster yet to see if the check engine light panel is open in the lower warning light bar? Mine was there with no light. I tried a few different bulbs from Radio Shack and the ones that fit in the a lot wouldn't light up. Ultimately I had a functioning CEL but it was ugly. The Referee didn't care about its looks just it's function. Later I found a guy parting out a late model car and I got the correct bulb and a mint lower panel and now have an OEM appearing CEL.

Good Luck

old setup notice how half is broken off too?... :down:

NEW! :pimp:

Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                I had the same situation as you with my CEL on my 84. Have you removed the cluster yet to see if the check engine light panel is open in the lower warning light bar? Mine was there with no light. I tried a few different bulbs from Radio Shack and the ones that fit in the a lot wouldn't light up. Ultimately I had a functioning CEL but it was ugly. The Referee didn't care about its looks just it's function. Later I found a guy parting out a late model car and I got the correct bulb and a mint lower panel and now have an OEM appearing CEL.

Good

So basically I wore it from C101 and get a light to work in my cluster. Looking at the diagram the light goes to Bat+ and the ECU grounds the other side to illuminate it correct?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working on an S52 swap into our 89 325is with intent to BAR it. Anyone been successfully through BAR with the e39 fuel rail with integrated FPR? Will this be acceptable?
                  sigpic
                  1989 325is MTechII, M50/S52 Frankenmotor
                  1997 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by xx4xy1 View Post
                    Working on an S52 swap into our 89 325is with intent to BAR it. Anyone been successfully through BAR with the e39 fuel rail with integrated FPR? Will this be acceptable?
                    not if you are doing OBDII and the ref is awake.
                    I cannot answer if OBDI rail works on OBDII
                    good luck with your project
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Obd2 bar

Anything controlled by the computer must be in place to pass OBD2 (from 1996 on), including the fan clutch and pusher fan, throttle body coolant hoses and cold air intake. No cone filter unless it has a CARB # on it. I've got a bunch of work to do before I go back...

The car drives great and the ref said I could get a 30 day driver-repair permit so I can start driving it legally while working on it.

It would be great to hear from someone who has walked this path already and emerged from the rabbit hole with a sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
                        Anything controlled by the computer must be in place to pass OBD2 (from 1996 on), including the fan clutch and pusher fan, throttle body coolant hoses and cold air intake. No cone filter unless it has a CARB # on it. I've got a bunch of work to do before I go back...

The car drives great and the ref said I could get a 30 day driver-repair permit so I can start driving it legally while working on it.

It would be great to hear from someone who has walked this path already and emerged from the rabbit hole with a sticker.
                        Uhoh- the fan?? And the throttle body coolant hoses...hmm...how are those controlled by the computer?

As for my question above about the e39 fuel rail- my understanding was it has the same FPR, it just happens to be attached to the rail so that's why we were hoping/wondering it might be a viable option...
                        sigpic
                        1989 325is MTechII, M50/S52 Frankenmotor
                        1997 M3/4/5

Comment

Uhoh- the fan?? And the throttle body coolant hoses...hmm...how are those controlled by the computer?

As for my question above about the e39 fuel rail- my understanding was it has the same FPR, it just happens to be attached to the rail so that's why we were hoping/wondering it might be a viable option...
                          The fan clutch and throttle body failed visual inspection, along with the 16 pin OBD II connector located in the cabin (transmission tunnel, passenger side). I believe the T.B. coolant lines also threw codes 53/54 (no resistance coming in and going out?), but I am still digging through that to confirm.
                          In addition, they want me to control the Mishimoto pusher I have there now from the ecu instead of a toggle switch, as the motor has a factory pusher in addition to the fan clutch (did not know that).

I also had the ecu flashed, so the referee wants a BMW dealership to evaluate it to see that it is correct for the motor and that it contains the latest software to comply with CA emissions. I must provide an invoice to the referee for this from the dealership.

FPR - Roll in and don't mention it to them, all they can say is no if it doesn't pass visual. The ref is free if you fail. Change it, then take it back and get your $8.50 BAR sticker.

Comment

The fan clutch and throttle body failed visual inspection, along with the 16 pin OBD II connector located in the cabin (transmission tunnel, passenger side). I believe the T.B. coolant lines also threw codes 53/54 (no resistance coming in and going out?), but I am still digging through that to confirm.
                            In addition, they want me to control the Mishimoto pusher I have there now from the ecu instead of a toggle switch, as the motor has a factory pusher in addition to the fan clutch (did not know that).

I also had the ecu flashed, so the referee wants a BMW dealership to evaluate it to see that it is correct for the motor and that it contains the latest software to comply with CA emissions. I must provide an invoice to the referee for this from the dealership.

FPR - Roll in and don't mention it to them, all they can say is no if it doesn't pass visual. The ref is free if you fail. Change it, then take it back and get your $8.50 BAR sticker.
                            Fan was not ECU controlled till E46... E36 fan is controlled just like e30 with a temp switch in radiator.
                            Code 53 is ICV, not sure what 54 is...

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                            Full Product Line Tuning
                            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                              Fan was not ECU controlled till E46... E36 fan is controlled just like e30 with a temp switch in radiator.
                              Code 53 is ICV, not sure what 54 is...
                              For real? That would be huge to walk in with an E.T.M. page and scratch that one off the list of stupid sht to install for a win, will look for that.

Comment

For real? That would be huge to walk in with an E.T.M. page and scratch that one off the list of stupid sht to install for a win, will look for that.
                                1000% sure.

Check Us out on Facebook
                                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                                X