Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Upper Strut Mount Bearings

Hi,

Replaced front struts (blown Koni adjustables out, and the freshies in) over the weekend and found there to be excessive play in the strut mount bearing, especially on the passenger side. With the top nut secure and the whole strut assembly out, I could wobble the strut mount 1/4 to 1/2". Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think this is supposed to happen.

Is it possible to press out and install new bearings? It looks at least feasible if I know the bearing size. The rubber seems to be in good shape, (guess I don't know for sure) not cracked or torn from visual inspection. Or do I drop ANOTHER $500 on new mounts both sides.
    Yay iX :drink: Anyone with upper mount experiences/thoughts?

All I want to do is blast around in the snow...
    Current State: '88 iX
    Two Doors, Three Pedals

Where are you getting $500 from? You can get them for around $100 from multiple suppliers. http://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oe-bmw/31331701167

So you're out just over $200 for both, unless you are paying to have them installed?

Comment

Some people may disagree with me but it's always been my mindset that if you're going to replace the strut inserts and shocks that you should at the very least replace the strut mounts as well.

Not a bad idea to replace the dust boots, and bump stops too. I know it seems like scope creep but tires and suspension imo aren't the places to cut corners! Consider yourself already ahead that you're doing the labor for free, just be sure you're torquing everything to spec. That shit matters.
      clutchCTRL!
      Move with a purpose.
      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
      - 2000 323i AT
      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

...it's always been my mindset that if you're going to replace...
        Agree 100%, I've been replacing pretty much every possible worn part while I'm in there all over the place. For a chassis with 205k on the clock its a no brainer, but clearly a bit of a wallet burner..

Thanks for the links, ever used that BMW direct parts? I got $$ mixed up in the heat of it. 2-300 I can probably swing. I will certainly grab the rubber too, it was all shot to hell. Guess there is an upside to having to do it all twice?

Good news is we have another sweet Northeast storm predicted. I'll be back in rally stage soon enough :pimp:
        Current State: '88 iX
        Two Doors, Three Pedals

Comment

Yes I have ordered from them many times before. They are part of the Husker Auto Group. Victor is a good guy.

Comment

Working...
          X