No announcement yet.

E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thanks to pondhopper! I won't spoil the results in mpg gains from the articles, but I will definitely have to see how much I can replicate them on the 2.7i's OBC meter. I also like that the vgs were placed on the rear windshield and found working, this is probably better to help a spoiler work too.
    Last edited by whitebulat22; 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Haha I love that string testing in the articles. Would love to see the results. Seems like you'll need quite the camera and maybe a chase car to keep up however.
      I'm going to look into building a multi-sensor pressure monitoring system to do some testing as well

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
        Haha I love that string testing in the articles. Would love to see the results. Seems like you'll need quite the camera and maybe a chase car to keep up however.
        I'm going to look into building a multi-sensor pressure monitoring system to do some testing as well

If you could meet us in Daytona, we reach terminal velocity twice per lap (laps are ~1:35min). Next race is April Fool's day...only have 5min between 2hr sessions in the pits, though. We have an e30 and a w210 MB you could play with.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

John, did you check out the articles pondhopped poster? Sounds like it'd be a perfect opportunity to toss on the yarn... twine.... tampons? whatever the proper name for thick wool string is.... You'd be able to record for a long time with good angles and stuff. I won't be back in FL until the summer

Comment

John, did you check out the articles pondhopped poster? Sounds like it'd be a perfect opportunity to toss on the yarn... twine.... tampons? whatever the proper name for thick wool string is.... You'd be able to record for a long time with good angles and stuff. I won't be back in FL until the summer
            I was offering up a test mule if you wanted to do pressure sensors. Unfortunately we have enough going on just top keep in-car cameras rolling, fueling the cars, changing drivers etc...specially if we have 2 cars :/.

Read about the string a long time ago, but they would probably be easier at the next sprint race.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'll give you a shout when I'm in FL to see if you have any events going on. Will try to hobble together a data logger by then

Cheers

Comment

I know no one gives a flying frisbee about gas mileage here, but I do. A lot. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'm seeing a 30% (thirty percent) increase in highway cruising MPG with my vortex generators and tuning (sorry, still not on an e30, my e30 is currently on its way to california to have it built by bimmerheads)
                Last edited by squidmaster; 02-22-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I know no one gives a flying frisbee about gas mileage here, but I do. A lot. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'm seeing a 30% (thirty percent) increase in highway cruising MPG with my vortex generators and tuning (sorry, still not on an e30, my e30 is currently on its way to california to have it built by bimmerheads)
                  http://sssquid.com/v2/vortex-generat...013-wrx-hatch/
                  I care about gas mileage. Efficiency can never be a bad thing.

How are you doing the data capture and/or simulation? I've never modeled aerodynamics before, but I would be interested to learn.

Comment

The simulation is done in CAD programs and datalogging is done through OBD2

offering up beta sets of 8 for 30 shipped if anyone wants some

Comment

The simulation is done in CAD programs and datalogging is done through OBD2

offering up beta sets of 8 for 30 shipped if anyone wants some
                      Specifically which software package(s) do you use?

Comment

blender solidworks and a little fusion 360

Comment

blender solidworks and a little fusion 360
                          You're doing the airflow simulation in Blender?

From some quick research, it looks like Blender is geared towards doing visual simulations for aesthetics, and it doesn't do accurate computational fluid dynamics (CFD).

Again, this is only what I gleaned after 5 minutes of googling.

Comment

Vortex generators are interesting and highly effective in some applications. You don't need big pieces of molded plastic to have a vortex generator, the ones you see on aircraft are mostly little pieces of bent aluminum installed at an angle with respect to air flow. They don't have to be very tall, since they only act to keep the boundary layer attached, I've seldom seen them more than 1.5" in height on private and small commercial aircraft. I have even seen them put on RC planes and have seen a noticeable difference in stall characteristics. When you look at the roofline of an E30 from the side, you can tell that there will be serious flow detachment on the rear window because of how steep it is. An A/B tuft test is simple, and some small vortex generators placed along the roofline in a manner similar to what you see on an old Mitsubishi Evo would most likely make a noticeable difference in air flow over the rear window. How much of a difference this would make on the track or for fuel economy would have to be seen. I suspect not much.

I've thought about putting them on my E30 before, just never got around to it, finding some cheap ones or fabricating my own.

Last edited by varg; 02-23-2017, 08:42 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

the ones I got from airtab are cheap, though if squid had his when I was looking, I wouldve just bought his. I like supporting r3v
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Simon, how much did you pay for your airtabs? I've sold a couple of sets of my 3d printed VGs at $35 shipped for 8, and you get a credit for the injection molded product when it's finished with manufacturing

Comment

Working...
                                X