No announcement yet.

DIY - ABS relay repair - Fix that ABS light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is it the relay or the fuse that blows?

anyone know if it ever got rehosted?
    Originally posted by ebelements
    Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

the link is dead any1 can post up a new link please?

Comment

????/ link is dead and the brake lights are annoyinh

Comment

Sorry, I seem to have lost that post to the internet ether.

The Pics are still available in this album
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dpereda/SpecE30.

I will try to rewrite it some day
          Thanks,

Dan
          Matawan, NJ

Comment

Here is your old text:

Home arrow Race Team News arrow Fixing the ABS relay
            Fixing the ABS relay PDF Print E-mail
            Written by Admin
            Monday, 31 March 2008

By Dan Pereda and Peakracer.com

Repairing the ABS relay on a BMW E30.

Look at the dash on many e30s and you will most likely find the ABS light on. Most of the time is because of a blow relay. They relay tends to blow for simple things such as jumpstarting your car. The fusable link inside is there to keep you from burning out the ABS computer. The proper way is to replace the relay, but in a pinch you can just repair the fusable link. *** WARNING*** repairing this relay will leave your ABS computer unprotected and you may blow up the ABS computer in the future. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The article is how to find and fix that relay.

Step 1: Disconnect the battery

Step 2: Locate the Relay under the dash on the Driver’s side (you will have to remove the black panel) In the picture below the yellow box highlights where the relay was located on our car.(relay not pictured)

Step 3: It is clipped on by a little metal tab. Just wiggle it back and forth and it should come free.

Step 4: your going to have to pry back the aluminum case. It is ver easy to bend with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Step 5: inside you should see the burnt wire.

Step 6: You will have to solder the wire back together or solder in a new wire. The gap was to big on mine to solder back together, so I soldered in a piece of MIG wire, but any think wire should work.

Repair a BMW E30 ABS Relay. - Watch a funny movie here

Step 7: Put it back together and plug it back in, Reconnect the battery. Start it up and check for fault codes.

Last Updated ( Monday, 31 March 2008 )
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I should know better but its been a while since I've snooped under my car. Do all four wheels have a wheel speed sensor? ABS light in mine has always been on, but thought it was due to missing wiring. Never though of the relay.

Comment

Men we need a new write up lol. Im about to take off the dam bulb and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaiRacer View Post
                  Men we need a new write up lol. Im about to take off the dam bulb and call it a day.
                  Follow the text george save and posted up. it's not hard at all. Just about as easy as pulling the bulb!
                  Last edited by whiltebeitel; 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM.
                  '89 325i track sloot
                  '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

My attempt:

By Dan Pereda and Peakracer.com

Repairing the ABS relay on a BMW E30.

Look at the dash on many e30s and you will most likely find the ABS light on. Most of the time is because of a blow relay. They relay tends to blow for simple things such as jumpstarting your car. The fusable link inside is there to keep you from burning out the ABS computer. The proper way is to replace the relay, but in a pinch you can just repair the fusable link. *** WARNING*** repairing this relay will leave your ABS computer unprotected and you may blow up the ABS computer in the future. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The article is how to find and fix that relay.

Step 1: Disconnect the battery

Step 2: Locate the Relay under the dash on the Driver’s side (you will have to remove the black panel) In the picture below the yellow box highlights where the relay was located on our car.(relay not pictured)

Step 3: It is clipped on by a little metal tab. Just wiggle it back and forth and it should come free.

Step 4: your going to have to pry back the aluminum case. It is ver easy to bend with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Step 5: inside you should see the burnt wire.

Step 6: You will have to solder the wire back together or solder in a new wire. The gap was to big on mine to solder back together, so I soldered in a piece of MIG wire, but any think wire should work.

Repair a BMW E30 ABS Relay. - Watch a funny movie here

Step 7: Put it back together and plug it back in, Reconnect the battery. Start it up and check for fault codes.

last Updated ( Monday, 31 March 2008 )
                    Is this OK, Dan?
                    '89 325i track sloot
                    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Wow thanks for that.

Comment

Awesome work, thanks for putting that back together!

Comment

It's all dan's work, words, and pictures. Helped me fix mine last year, so it's nice to have it for others to use.
                          '89 325i track sloot
                          '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

OK. I go to go do this and I can't find the relay anywhere...
                            Car is a 1990 325iS. ABS light is intermittent, will be off and on (mostly on) when I'm out driving.

There's just the one location for it correct?

Excuse the crappy pictures, cell phone was what was handy.
                            Attached Files
                            1996 Porsche C4S - Guards Red

1991 BMW 325i - Green

Comment

I wish I could help you, but yesterday I decided to try and fix my ABS issue, also in a 1990 model year, and I popped the kick panel off and pulled the ABS computer down and didn't see the relay. I did find one empty relay holder with no relay installed but wire colors don't match another car I compared to, it had slots for 5 wires but only wires connected to 4 pins. I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

Comment

No one else has come across this problem?
                                1996 Porsche C4S - Guards Red

1991 BMW 325i - Green

Comment

Working...
                                X