No announcement yet.

Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by JamesE30; 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
      If you have a 87 or earlier car, the MTech 1 kit is the ideal option, but will typically take extra time & $ to acquire all of the required components. I completed the build on my 87 325is below 2 years ago and it took me 18months to obtain all of the MT1 parts for the build. Most of it I pieced together with components purchased used on ebay UK, but I did opt to buy the euro bumpers new from ECS. See photo of the car below next to my MT2 cabrio. To my knowledge, almost all of the MT-1 parts are NLA at this time with the exception of a few mounting bits and possibly one of the side skirts. Since MT1 was never delivered in the US, they are rare here, but if you build one it will make your car very unique.

Remember, the MT-1 kit is not just a valance. It is an assembly that integrates with the euro bumpers. The valance actually mounts over the bumper and the transition is covered by the black plastic trim and turn signal assemblies. It makes for a clean install because the entire thing is built on the bench and the mounted on the car as a single piece. Here is a photo of the assembly on the bench

Here is an image during a test fit without the trim installed.

The rear is similar, just with fewer components. It is best if you use a euro metal valance behind the plastic valance, but we were able to trim the us valance to clear the fogs and brake ducts. Here is a photo of the back side

If you decide to go with plastic bumpers on an early car you will need some type of aftermarket rear valance to accommodate the shorter lower tail panels, and I'm not sure how the rear bumper will mate up with the edge of the wheel opening because of the arch height and lack of recess for the bumper at the edge.

I actually have a second used complete MT-1 kit that I acquired over time for another build. I may not follow thru with the build so I may be convinced to part with it, but if I do, it needs to go to someone local enough to pick it up here in NJ near Philadelphia. I'm not interested in shipping it.

Good Luck
      Wow, fantastic post! Thank you. PM coming.

Mr. Wolfe
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
        Great looking car!

Mr. Wolfe
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
          Heres my old one -

They're not all that common in Europe either - so I wouldn't agree with the post above this. They're pretty rare, and going up in value. I've only seen one full kit recently - which happens to be local

Thats EUR1k - so $1.12k or so. The same kits were around 300 about 4 years ago, but they're getting rarer these days.
          Red MTech 1's look SO good.

Mr. Wolfe
          sigpic

Comment

Any chance someone has MTech 1 with Schmidt TH Line wheels?

Mr. Wolfe
            sigpic

Comment

Mr. Wolfe
              sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Love your ride height. Is your car finished or are you planning on painting?

Mr. Wolfe
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi.

- Frank
                    '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                    http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                    Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

- Frank
                      '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                      http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                      Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Funny this should pop up as I just picked up an 85 323i imported into CA in 86. I've always wanted to build an M tech 1 but haven't owned an early car in 17 years. It's awesome to see what people have done in one thread. I am currently looking for an OEM used kit but curious how the replicas are.
                        Last edited by reelizmpro; 02-15-2016, 01:07 PM.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Great looking vert Frank. Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Wolfe
                          sigpic

Comment

Damn spam knocked my thread to the 2nd page. Let get some more beautiful Mtech 1 kits posted!

Mr. Wolfe
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice thread. Hopefully mine will be together eventually..
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
                                Damn spam knocked my thread to the 2nd page. Let get some more beautiful Mtech 1 kits posted!

Mr. Wolfe
                                Took care of that...and I remember we have a thread someplace for MTech, not sure if it is MT1 specific. I always wanted MT1 but I found my Pfeba <3
                                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                                ~ '87 535
                                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                                X