No announcement yet.

I have an addiction..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of the M54 swap. It's a more common, non S engine that can be had cheap yet it has performance comparable to the older S50/S52. As for the N52/N54...here's an N motor in an E30 M3 I saw in Jersey.

Looked like a nice fit probably making 500HP+
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 02-18-2017, 03:50 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      The electronics aren't an issue at all though. MS43 has had a free EWS delete for at least a year. I developed an MS45 EWS delete last year. It's really not any harder than an M52 swap - and you get a better, lighter engine, a decade newer, and probably lower miles. I can also do the N52, but no E30s have done that one yet (the oil pan remains an issue).
      I so want to see a N52 in an e30. Personally I think it would be weird using a drive-by-wire throttle in an old e30, but the power/weight would be awesome. I can see the N52 becoming a popular swap for tired e46s, that is if the prices get low enough for college kids to afford swapping mom's hand-me-down automatic 325i.
      My Feedback

Comment

Why would it be strange? S54, S62, and M54 are all DBW and all have been done before. Its not like you can tell (other than the engines making way more power, while also being lighter and more efficient).
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

BTW, I should be testing EWS deletes for MSV80 by the end of the week - MSD80 is basically the same, so that means... N54 swaps are a realistic possibility (without swapping the entire car's electronics over, like I'm sure that M3 had to).

The rest (other than getting it to start) is getting it all setup to run outside the original chassis. It would basically just take one person who doesn't mind being on the bleeding edge to work with me, deleting spurious error codes and working out bugs until it runs like it was the stock motor. I'm like 97% of the way there with the N52 running on MSV70, and it's all really very similar.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Damn this is intense 😏

Comment

Hah!

So I ended up bricking my MSV80 - fat finger typo in the hex code, which WinKFP happily flashed. Changed a byte that counts the number of checksum segments from 01 to 40. Oops.

Building files and running checksums manually is slow and error prone, so I've been building custom tools to do that. Putting the finishing touches on it, then i can go back to testing. Should eliminate stupid crap like DME bricks..

Picked up another MSV80 meanwhile, unfortunately it was DOA. Ugh.

Also started on a MAF delete tune for N52s and continuing to tweak the N52 swapped E36 ti. In my "spare" time...
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It is really cool what you are doing with these computers. I confess I do not know anything about the computers. The mechanical aspects of a swap are simple to me. Making it run is another matter.

N52 is my interest now.

Thoughts on using an older dme and ignoring the valvetronic. Basically consider it a lighter m54?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff Nando. Following.
                  sigpic
                  Gun control means using both hands
                  Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Hey, me too. Except I moved on from DMEs and I'm working on all sorts of cool stuff now.

Email me if you ever want to talk shop, I still dabble in ECU RE.

Comment

Nice!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        Hey, me too. Except I moved on from DMEs and I'm working on all sorts of cool stuff now.

Email me if you ever want to talk shop, I still dabble in ECU RE.
                        well, if you know anything about dealing with code compression on the MPC5xx CPU.. haha. Transmission tunes are getting to be a popular thing, with like 99.9% of all BMWs now being automatics (ugh). But on cars that use 1024 bit RSA signatures, it makes modifying them quite difficult.

We've built tools to do all sorts of fun stuff - autogenerated 0da files for WinKFP, and on DMEs with 512bit RSA, I can add a valid signature it as well. We can do the M03 checksums as well (on some DMEs, if you change some of the switches/constants it has *another* checksum that will fail, and it's not just a standard CRC).

Oh, I bricked my MSV80 while testing the earlier versions of my 0da tool, but we figured out how to recover that too. So maybe I'll make some progress on the EWS delete. :)
                        Last edited by nando; 07-05-2017, 08:42 AM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

clickbait.

expected meth addiction or another e30.

lame

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Wow. It's kind of funny that I haven't been on a BMW forum in like 5 years and then 2/3 threads I reply to last night are yours. Small world.

Like I said on the other forum, that's really incredible work that you guys are doing. An open, collaborative ecosystem was our dream back in the day. I'm really envious.

I have done a lot of PPC reverse engineering and I have never seen compressed code. IDA can't handle it, right? Might be worth asking them to add support. I actually helped an old coworker with the RSA authentication routine for a transmission controller not too long ago and it kinda made me want to jump back into some ECUs. Now that there's a decompiler for PPC, it's probably a lot more fun.

How long until I can build an e36 and put an N52 in it? ;D

Comment

You could do it now - there's already one in an E36ti! We need more. :)

Yeah, IDA can't handle the decompression. There must be some information on how it was compressed in the boot sector (they use some sort of table algorithm to compress it), as the CPU has to be able to do it somehow. That's a little over my head at the moment. It makes getting around the RSA much more difficult, as you can't just patch the boot code like on the uncompressed CPUs.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome work Chris, I love my "Nando" N52 Tune
                                Build Threads:
                                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                                X