Alternator ground cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator ground cable

I need alternator ground cable. Could this be the cause why its not charging the battery?? I got it rebuilt 2 weeks ago, my battery is good and just realized the shop didnt return my ground cable.

There is no ground cable

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you are missing the ground for something that will definitely cause problems though.

After replacing the poly motor mounts that came on my car with stock ones, I had trouble getting the starter ground (I believe) secured. The bolt wouldn't go on the correct way so I put it on upside down. Ended up not going down the last <1mm, and that resulted in no start, finally got it on right and everything was perfect.

I would just make sure all your connections aren't corroded, clean em up, tighten em well, and go from there.
      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

The ground cable for the engine and alternator is at the front passenger side of the engine.

You can verify that your alternator is grounded by using a multimeter to check for continuity between the alternator case and the negative battery post. While you're at it check for continuity between the +post on your alt. and the positive battery terminal. THEN, check for voltage at the small wire on the alternator while the car is running. If all the above tests are good you likely need to replace your regulator/brush assy.

Comment

Don't forget that the input signal to your alternator runs through the little light bulb in your dash cluster! If the little bulb is burnt up, the circuit is incomplete, and won't charge your battery
          85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
            Don't forget that the input signal to your alternator runs through the little light bulb in your dash cluster! If the little bulb is burnt up, the circuit is incomplete, and won't charge your battery
            They fixed that in 1986 or so, just a little resistor bridge.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I tested battery and it tested 12.23 when I turned on my headlights it would read 11.00. There for bad alternator. I will remove and take it back to shop. I'll update the problem once I get it back.

Comment

Working...
              X