Switching Turbos: Hx35 to gt3076r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Turbos: Hx35 to gt3076r

About three months ago I finally finished my M50 turbo e30 project. Currenlty running lower compression with a .140" MLS and a holset hx35 with the 12cm housing. It dyno'd at 380 whp at 18psi, and as a daily driver it is a beast, but i would like to have quicker spool up (doesn't everyone). I recently blew the turbo seals so i have it out for a rebuild, so now would be the time to upgrade to a BB turbo.

My question is: If i upgrade to say a gt3076r or gt3071r with a .63 ar, or possibly a .82 ar, would i be disappointed in the lack of difference in spoolup time? I should mention that my max hp is probably 450 or so.

sigpic

If you are looking for faster spool I would go for a .63 A/R turbine housing unless you have a divided manifold, then I would opt for the .82 A/R. However I have no direct experience with either, my suggestion is based purely on what i've read doing research while planning my own turbo build. Just my $.02

Nice looking setup though! When were you seeing full boost before the turbo seals blew?
    2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

I just check some of my old logs and it looks like i was reaching 15psi around 3500 rpm. Which is not shabby, but would the switch to BB get me there by 2800?
      sigpic

Comment

I would guess 3-500 rpms sooner, depends if you get a billet wheel too. 3500 seems like a good place to be for spool to me though, 3k would be nice if you do mostly street driving
        2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

why not go gtx3076r?

Comment

I could put the extra 600+ bones to other use. And the garrett could still leave me wanting more.
            sigpic

Comment

Are you running an oil cooler or do you have an oil temp gauge?
              I only ask because I am having oil temperature issues on basically the same setup as you.

Comment

Why do you want faster spool? A 3076r will spool pretty quick on a m52 if you get a gtx you'll see an even faster spool time.

Comment

I'm not running an oil temp sensor, or an oil cooler. I think at least the temp sensor will go in this winter. I do get the feeling that these holsets tend to heat up the oil a bit, and even with a bigger radiator and a 92 thermostat it sticks right at 95 most of the time.

I think I will end up going to a BB this winter, just for the fun of it.
                  sigpic

Comment

May want to check your oil temps, Holset states that the oil temp should under NO conditions should exceed 248 degrees F, and I have been seeing oil temps of 260 degrees. This may be because of how my drain line is routed/plumbed ( a lot of metal right near the manifold) but it would be worth checking into!
                    BB should be fun!

Comment

Let me know if you want to sell that HX35 after the rebuild
                      1997 Artic Silver M3
                      CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                        I have been seeing oil temps of 260 degrees
                        Where are you measuring at?

Comment

Vanos oil feed, non vanos engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X