Texas residents, smog/inspection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas residents, smog/inspection question

What are the laws like in texas regarding smog checks? In CA we need to pass every two years for cars like 77 and newer (or a year or two around that) with no real vehicle inspection deal like some other states.
    Car does not have a horn but have never needed to use it lol.

As long as its 25 years old, the only things that have to work are all your lights, horn, wipers. Also, make sure you have solid tread on your tires, wipers are not torn, & is not a gross polluter (constant smoke coming out the exhaust).

If your car is less than 25 years old years & is OBD-I, good luck, they'll tear you a new hole.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      My car's tires are down to the wear bar, just slightly right above it so i guess i need to replace them and install a horn, in CA we never had any inspection deal and just found about this existed lmao.
      Im glad they have an exemption on years for smog as stupid CA stop that :(

Comment

Yeah. Definitely get your tires replaced.

Lots of inspection places will promise that your car will pass, but they lure you in & then last second say that "you need this one thing" and they'll fail you and you're obligated to pay for the inspection, even though you failed. Then a "failed inspection" remark shows on the Carfax & Autocheck.

Its a safe bet to make sure your car is overqualified. Also, make sure your insurance card expiration is good for 90 days minimum.

Comment

Working...
        X